.....::Recent Posts::.....

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Stellar Day at Grotto Beach

Today was GORJUSS! It was hot and sunny. I still had some juice from last night, which was perfect, as I am always hungry in the morning. I was another kilo down, weighing in at 67.5 kg. 

We went to Checkers, nearly bought them out of coconuts, along with 2 bags of fruit and veggies. The bagging lady said something about not eating any more mealies now that it is summer time and how she has to eat meat everyday. First off, that make me a little queasy. Second of all, the health magazine I showed in another video talked about GMO corn and how it's causing tumours in mice. Africans live off of mealies - cornmeal, basically. The women are notoriously big. It's actually quite frightening to think of how many people are eating this 'death trap'. I've never seen organic corn in any of the stores. If you haven't heard about it, read this. California is fighting to have GMO foods labelled, which I think is a smashing great idea. Just do a quick google search to find out which of your favourite food brands don't care about your health. Even some of the so called 'healthy & organic' companies are listed on the 'dark side'. If you're interested to know what countries use GMO & which don't, here's another article. Having had cancer and survived, I feel quite passionate about things like this. 

One last thing I want to mention is about Canada. And the Prairies. The Federal Government is planning to sell off a bunch of land in a few years time. Why this should concern you is because it is currently cared for by people who have a vested interest in the land and animals using it. Not making a profit from it. If it is to be sold to private owners, it would be too expensive for the average Joe in the neighbourhood, meaning it will most likely go towards wealthy business owners who only care about making more money, or to the Hutterites, whom I've heard use A LOT of pesticides and also care about making money. Currently the land is cared for diligently - endangered species, protection from overgrazing, using natural pest control (bugs that eat other bugs or grasses and then perish). Access is controlled for hunting and oil & gas exploration. How do I know this? My Dad is one of those caretakers and trust me, you've never met someone as passionate about his job as he is! Even after 30+ years! Basically, if this land is sold, it will affect farmers and ranchers, who will no longer be able to raise as many cattle or be forced to use cropland as grazing land. How does that affect you? Guess where your food comes from? If you think, 'I don't eat much meat', think again. Where do you think your grains come from? Those farmers are growing YOUR next meal! Here's how you can help. Go to www.protecttheprairie.ca and sign the petition. Share it on Facebook and with everyone you know. P.s. - my Dad is retiring & he still cares about this issue - GREATLY! I hope you will care enough too!

Anyhow, here is the video for day three. I hope you'll enjoy it. Hermanus really is a beautiful place to live. If crime wasn't such an issue (& currently the strikes against the farmers) I would thoroughly consider staying here for good! In case you could hear on the video, our dog is named Kudu, after one of the wild animals found in South Africa. The second video shows you what a real Kudu looks like. I'll also include a photo below that I took in Addo Elephant Park. 

Have a fabulous day wherever in the world you are. Stay well, stay healthy, stay vibrant!

Maria Valentina AKA Mama Africa (& her village)




The 'other' or 'real' Kudu:




Taken in Addo Elephant Park:


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been