.....::Recent Posts::.....

Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 322 - Spruce Meadows!


The Masters started on Wednesday at Spruce Meadows. Show Jumpers from all over the world come to compete for big bucks. I went with our 4-H club when I was about 13 or 14 years old & I haven't been since! Seeing as Jaco had never been to Spruce Meadows, I thought it would be a fun thing for us to 'tick off the list'. It was!

Spruce Meadows celebrated its 35th anniversary this year. They had photos showcasing the development of the facility throughout the years. It was quite fascinating to see the original vision develop into what it is today. It was also, um, disturbing (?) for lack of a better word, to see the growth of Calgary in the background of the aerial photos. Spruce Meadows used to lie outside the city by a quite a distance. Now it is engulfed by developments. As much as I love my city, it is disgusting that Calgary takes up more surface area than New York City, which has over 8 million people! Calgary has just over a million - if you include the metropolitan area. (NYC swoops to 19 million if you include their metropolitan area!) I get that we are a city wealth with oil money, but really... how disgusting is THAT carbon footprint!

Anyhow, back to the show jumping. Jaco told me he used to watch show jumping on the weekends at home when there weren't any sports on TV. He found it quite boring. Thankfully he enjoyed watching the event live! In fact, there were several moments when I said, 'Well, should we go now?' and Jaco was the one to request that we watch one more... And then one more... And then one more!

I sported a wig today. The henna design is gone & my hair is getting sparse, so I put on the long red wig & painted up my face. I must say, since I put a big more effort into my appearance, I have received more compliments than ever! Talk about a confidence booster! It's nice to know that I don't look like a clown with a wig on! 

We strolled around the grounds, checking out the different barns, filled with exhibits of various equine & not-so-equine related booths. We visited Traci, Mom's friend, who was selling western clothing for Cavalier. I chit-chatted with a fellow from Montana who makes custom cowboy boots. He offers a course... maybe I'll go one day & make my own 'Italian' boots. (It's on my bucket list, although I'd rather learn in Italy!)

While we were waiting for the International Ring to begin the next group of jumpers, the cutest little old lady came & sat beside Jaco & I. She had a pudgy little chihuahua dog with her. She was the sweetest little lady, telling us where she was from, her daughter was out from Montreal, they were in the horse business, how she got her dog... She was adorable! Of course, so was Oscar, the chubby chihuahua... There's a photo below that I snapped after we moved down the bleachers to get a better view. She still warms my heart at the thought of her & her little dog!

Jaco & I had picked out the perfect seats to get the best photos. The jumps were right in front of us. Lo & behold, they jumped on the other side of the ring & in the middle. No where near where we were sitting! Argh! Oh well, we enjoyed the jumping nonetheless. 

The Celle stallions from Germany performed prior to the jumping. They were magnificent! It was incredible to see them perform - what athleticism, grace & strength. There are a few snaps below. Enjoy!

We left shortly thereafter to stroll around the grounds & visit a few more places before we left. We stopped to say goodbye to Traci & while we were waiting, Jaco decided to go to the car & wait for me. He took the camera bag & left. When I was walking to the car, I stopped by the International Ring. They were jumping RIGHT IN FRONT! ARGH! Sigh. I guess there's always next year! 

All in all, it was a great day. We enjoyed our day at Spruce Meadows. Sleep well for tomorrow we DevinFest!

xxxxx MJV&O

Welcoming the jumpers from various countries around the world.

The wig for today.

My how the city has grown!

South Africa!

Checking out the black & white photos of yesteryears!

Pretty pony.

Jaco makes friends

One of the Celle Stallions

Getting ready

The rider prepares

Lost in thought?

The little lady & Oscar

Oscar hopes for a few crumbles

Oscar & his jacket

Celle Stallion reaches out

Beautiful!

Wow!

Whee!

Up & Over!

Hup!

Over the top!

Last jump!

Collected.


2 comments:

Jenn said...

Beautiful post Jill, loved it all!! Especially the wig! You're a gorgeous natural red head!! You look fab :)

Anonymous said...

No wonder you had so many compliments - HOT! Fab photos as usual. Janis

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been