.....::Recent Posts::.....

Friday, November 27, 2009

Day Thirty Five Through Thirty Eight - I think!

Man! Time flies when you're... driving! I did just over 1800 kms in the past 5 days. That's enough driving for awhile I reckon! Luckily the weatherman was on my side & I had wonderful roads for traveling. And just in time too, as tonight it is pretty slick in the ol' cow town! The grocery store parking lot was a skating rink! Yeesh! 


What have I been up to this past week, well, let's get down to business!


I left on Sunday for Grandma B's house. I had full intentions of getting away by 1300 at the latest. Yeah right. I finally left the city at 1700, just as it was getting dark. Whoops! We lost our power out in Bragg Creek, so I was dilly-dallying around waiting for it to come back on, as I wanted to shower, etc, etc. No such luck. I finally threw on a ball cap & left for Bragg Creek. Fuel & food. Wrong. No power in town either! So, off to the city it was. By the time I filled up with fuel, took another batch of pills & picked up a few groceries for the drive, it was 1700. 


Thank Heavens this little car has a radio & a stereo. That made the drive way more tolerable! I could sing my little heart out, although I uploaded a bunch of new songs onto the iPod, so I didn't know the words to anything. I expected Valentina to start howling at any given moment, but she slept peacefully on my lap. That is, until she decided to eat 1/2 of the baby gift I'd picked up for John & Julie's little guy. For the THIRD time. I guess she really wanted that little stuffed lion! Brat! :o)


I rolled into Grandma B's at 0030. We had a quick chat & then both went to bed. I was pooped! Grandma B was up at 0700 sharp. I don't think she's slept in a day in her life. She is 83 years old - that's a lot of early mornings! We had a great visit & she promptly got on the phone that morning to see how many relatives she could round up for a quick visit while I was in town. She did good! I managed to have lunch with Uncle Stan & Aunty Karla, as well as my cousin, Robyn. After lunch, my cousin, Dustin & his wife, Jamie, came by with their little girl, Samara. She is the cutest little girl I have ever seen! I think she has the most perfect little features. Wow! 


Grandma B had 8 children, 4 girls & 4 boys. Of course, they are all grown up & their children have children now. Christmas is on her side of the family this year & I am sad that I will miss it, as it is always fun. There are so many people & never a lack of things to do (or eat). Although, I think the sun & sand of the South Pacific with my wonderful hubby is just a little more tempting! :oP


I left for Saskatoon about 1500 on the afternoon of the 23rd. I stopped at the Saskatchewan Landing to take a quick snap of the Visitor Information Centre. It is a really neat old house & I always enjoy seeing it, but I've never stopped for a photo. It's a really beautiful area. You drive & drive for hours, seeing nothing but endless farm land & then all of a sudden you drive down a steep hill & BOOM! There is a vast river, with ravines & bird life & beautiful reflections. It is impressive!


I drove straight to Granny's house from there. I arrived at the Lodge at about 1900. She was already in bed - still awake - but cold. We had a quick catch up chat & around 2000, I left for the Robbins household.


The Robbins family hold a special place in my heart. I worked for Carol for 5 summers in a chocolate shop in Waterton Lakes National Park, I rode with her husband, Neil, in the nearby forestry, checking up on cattle. Her 2 sons, Brandon & Cody, are like brothers to me. Brandy is married to Jen & they have the 2 most adorable little girls I have ever seen. Oh my goodness - they are picture perfect! Cody is an incredibly talented gentleman. He has recently completed his first season of Live 2 Hunt - his very own hunting show! If you are into hunting, it's on WildTV every Sunday evening... His webpage is http://www.live2hunt.com. Cody recently got engaged & I was finally able to meet his fiance, Kelsy. She is drop dead gorgeous & I am tickled pink for them both. I can't wait to see them in January, as we are going to do an engagement photo session - with snow! The plan was to do it this time, but unfortunately it was pretty brown & bleak. I did do a few snaps of some jewelry Carol has created for her Chicks In Camo company. Check out the site & see if you recognize any of the girls - Collet & Roxy modeled for me! Superstars! :o)


The next a.m. I left for the city to visit Granny. Granny & I have been best buds since I can remember. Every chance I get, I will visit her. Being the only granddaughter, we had plenty of time to spend together. She will be 95 in February & she is still doing quite well. Her legs have quit working, so she is now confined to a wheelchair, but she is determined to get better & get walking again! Her mind is still sharp as ever. I enjoyed listening to her tell stories of days gone by. She comes from a family of 9, so there were plenty of stories to tell! What a life she's had! She is a strong-minded Irish lass & she will keep you on your toes - even at 94!


Her & Valentina hit it off marvelously. Valentina slept on her lap pretty much the entire time we were there. She even curled up with Granny on the bed! I was surprised at how much Granny enjoyed her. Granny said several times that she would love to keep her there. I don't know what the nurses would think of that! :o) 


Okay, I'm going to leave you hanging at that... I'll finish the rest of the week's novel tomorrow... Sleep tight & stay WARM! Brrr!!


Love & hugs,
Maria & Valentina
xxxx



My cousin Robyn - She's a Roughriders fan! 


Uncle Stan & Aunty Karla


Grandma B & Me


Beautiful Samara!


Samara & Mommy (Jamie) & Daddy (Dustin)



Saskatchewan Landing



Visitor Information Centre at the Landing - Joe, we need to talk to Duane I think!



Uncle Cody & Aunty Kelsy with their nieces, Hannah & Olivia



The Newly Engaged Couple!



A quick a.m. snap - yes, those are my p.j.'s!



The Red River Cart at the Landing - they just retired it last year.
It was the local taxi service. Just kidding.



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been