.....::Recent Posts::.....

Thursday, October 22, 2009

Day Three - Meeting with El Doc



Valentina all cuddled up

Outside the Hotel Pueblo Amigo
Outside Dr. Castillo's clinic

Debra - my inspiration from Houston - she couldn't walk or dress herself when she arrived!

Julietta - Valentina's new friend
Mom wanted a photo by the nice Mexican architecture. I told her her pose looked like she was 'eeking' out last nights Mexican refried beans... :o) (She'll hate me for typing that, but I hope it made you laugh!)

Interesting architecture near the hotel
Table Topics - Girls Night Out - Don't worry boys, there are NON-GIRLY versions too!

Mom, 2 fisting it with her drinks... Don't worry, one is non-alcoholic! Mmm, Pinata!!

Alrighty... Just a quick note, as it is late & I haven't been sleeping well these past few nights. This morning we took it easy, as I had an appointment with Dr. Castillo at 1400. No sense rushing into the clinic at 0900 when I would just have to sit around & wait. We had a lovely fruit plate for breakfast, which we both enjoyed out on the lawn at the Pueblo Amigo & promptly headed for the clinic at 1000. We visited with some of the familiar faces from the past few days, building our new friendships & filling ourselves with positive stories & encouragement. I love this place already! I grabbed a few email addresses from people I knew that were leaving today & tomorrow, as I really want to collect the success stories! It's amazing what goes on here! Sadly enough, the officials are still trying to shut down Dr. Castillo's office, but if I have any input into the matter, HELL NO!!!!


The IV session went much better today. The nurse put the drip a little quicker dripping than yesterday. Unbeknownst to me, it helped avoid the light-headedness, but brought about a lovely case of verbal diarrhea. Great for me, but the poor lady next to me suffered!!! :o) I didn't catch her name, but she's here from Jamaica. She has cancer & lupus in her family & although she doesn't have either, she believes that prevention is the best key! Good for her! We had a riot chuckling about life & some funny stories! Speaking of which, if you're my pal of Facebook, please take 1:23 & check out the video on the sleepwalking dog. OMGosh. That was the funniest way to start my day this morning! Thanks Lauren! Poor pup probably has a bit of a headache, but nonetheless made me howl!


Mom & I grabbed lunch at California Buffet - great healthy salad bar & 3 different enchiladas. Fresh squeezed carrot & orange juice too. I managed to sneak Valentina into the restaurant, but when we went to the shop to buy paint, the security guy quickly booted me out! Whoops! Pleased to say Mom did a bang-up job on the door... Hopefully they won't even notice! Fingers crossed!!!! We motored back to the clinic for the appointment with Dr. Castillo. There were 2 American ladies sitting opposite us when we returned. They didn't seem too chatty, but I persisted. They were there supporting their husbands. They seemed reluctant to tell me what they were there for, but eventually they cracked. 'Cancer' they both said. When I didn't seem phased, they were surprised. When they asked why I was there, they said, 'Who?' I said 'me'. Their jaws both dropped. Let's just say the ice melted after that & we had a great chat! :o)


When the appointment with Dr. Castillo began, I was amazed. What an incredible man. I hope he has a protege, as he is astounding. He knew so much about my condition - far more than my Oncologist in Canada, who specialized in hematology - blood & lymph, go figure. I think my jaw was on the floor! And to think, earlier in the day, he assisted people with colo-rectal cancer, bone cancer, thyroid cancer, liver cancer, diabetes, and one patient with 4 auto-immune diseases. Wow. Anyhow, he went through my blood work... Not to bore you, but if you're interested:

Red Blood Cell Count: 4.09 million s/be b/twn 3.9-5.0 - mild anemia

Hemoglobin (Iron): 11 s/be b/twn 12-14.5 - He suggested eating raisins, lentils, bean (esp. blk) & leafy green veggies

White Blood Cell Count: High! 11,900 s/be b/twn 5,000-10,000 this indicates inflammation

With the WBC...

Lymphocytes: 12% s/be b/twn 20-40% (helps with my immune system)

I can't remember the other part of the WBC, but it was 86% & it s/be b/twn 60-65%

Dr. Castillo explained that the 86% count was helping to balance out the lack of lymphocytes. Interesting!

Platelets: OK

Sedimentation Rate: 17% s/be b/twn 0-15 indicates inflammation

Urine: clean

Phosphorus: 2.6 s/be b/twn 2.7-4.5 - I need to eat seafood & fish - Tacos Camaron?? :o)

He said my blood chemistry was pretty much perfect!

Oh yes, the Beta 2 Microglobulin test... This is one of the 4 blood tests that can be done to read the cancer markers in your body. The particular one I had should be between 0 & 2. I was 1.8. Great news, obviously I still have tumors in my body, but this indicates that at least they aren't growing rapidly or out of control. Yippee!!!


So, after all that mumbo jumbo, now what? Well, Dr. Castillo has started me on the Hoxsey Tonic, along with a particular diet (9 items I must exclude), DMSO, Isopronosine (I think?), Thymine & Astesen. He normally waits until you return home to start you on most of this, but he wanted to start me ASAP. He also said since my tumors weren't threatening any vital organs I wouldn't need to do any chemo! Yippee x 2!!! When I asked if I would see a reduction in the lumps by the end of the month, he smiled & asked me how long I have had the lumps. '2 years', I replied. He just smiled a little bigger. Okay, Roma wasn't built in a day, but hey! I'm optimistic!


I'm sure I've forgotten other bits & bobs, but it will come to me! We went back to the mall this afternoon & then back to Saverio's for one last 'naughty' meal... Omgosh, I am so full, it's disgusting! But the food was so yummy!! I'm getting much better at my Espanol. I am going to miss talking with the cabbies every night! Mom & I played Table Topics tonight at dinner. It was a great way to keep the conversation rolling & light hearted. Check it out if you haven't heard of it before! I'm a big fan! That's how Jaco & I got to know each other so well... 4000 kms of driving... It was great!


We came back to the hotel, packed up our stuff, Mom painted the door while I desperately tried to convince Valentina to do her business outside (no luck), and now I am looking forward to bed. We have neighbours tonight. I will be very happy to move to the Best Western. There is a night club across the street. All I heard last night were car alarms & people hollering & carrying on until who knows what time. Tonight there is someone in the room next to us & they just barged into their room, cursing & swearing, blaring music, talking about their escapades crossing the border... Thankfully they have just left to go out for the night. Here's hoping they don't return until sunrise! I'll sick Valentina on them if they come back earlier! 'Combattiamo' means 'Let's fight!' I knew this Italian would come in handy! Ha ha!


Anyhow, looks like the updates will be done from the American side from now on. I'm said to be leaving Mexico, even though I will be back every day. I know, I know, get over it already. I decided today that I have supported the Mexican economy enough through the clinic, restaurants & cab fares alone. Aye chihuahua!!! :o) Dulce suenos & see you tomorrow! Thanks for reading my novels!!! Love & hugs, Jill, Kim & Lil' Miss V... Oh, btw, I'm now known as Maria at the clinic. I put my full name down & all the women call me 'Maria'. I feel so exotic! :o)

4 comments:

Enlightened Savage said...

"Maria" - great news! Keep us all posted!

- J

Jenn said...

Dearest Maria! I tried to post yesterday but the part where I have to confirm the word wasn't there and it wouldn't proceed, even after trying 5 times! Oh well! I am so excited to hear all the good news - no chemo! YAY! Moving to the American side of things is probably better for your health, sleep wise and food choice wise. Gluing the door back together! That is good news too!

Only 4 more sleeps until I am home with my hubby. I can't wait to see him :) I am sure you know the feeling. How is Jaco doing btw? Hope he is enjoying the South Pacific!

Thanks again for sharing your story, I love reading!

Jill Marie said...

Hey Enlightened Savage & Burnett Family! Thanks for the comments! This is fun stuff! My blog wouldn't load last night, either, so no worries! Glad to hear you're headed home to be with Mike! I am looking forward to settling in here. I am really missing the Mexican side of things. I was really picking up the lingo! Oh well, there is always next time! Miss you guys heaps! Have fun in Mexico Enlightened Savage! I sure am! xxxx

Collet said...

You forgot to post about the good news with Valentina (sd)! You can still go outside the clinic and make small talk to work on your spanish to try to talk to employees in spanish! Miss ya tons! Glad things are well!
Love you

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been