.....::Recent Posts::.....

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day 51 - Huahine - That's right, where?!?!

Hello from the wonderful little island of Huahine. That’s pronounced ‘hoo-ah-hee-nee’ & apparently it means ‘Island of the Woman’s Body Parts’. Got your attention now, don’t I? :o) I had no clue that was what it meant, but as I was walking out on deck at sail away, I overheard on the PA system, our guide stating just that fact!



I will certainly say that this morning was one of the most beautiful mornings I have ever had to wake up in all my life. Wow! I was sharply shocked when Jaco pulled back the curtains this morning (I asked him to do that so I wouldn’t sleep in!). It was suddenly so bright in the room, but wow! When I looked out the window, there was the island – RIGHT THERE! These large mountains covered in palm trees & other lush green vegetation that I have no clue what it is! There were little houses scattered along the shore lines & blue skies up above. Wow. This is paradise!


Shortly thereafter, a knock at the door. But who could that be? Jaco was at work & it was too early for Nino, the cabin steward… It was Augustine! With presents! Well, only juice, but still! Augustine is the Steward for the Medical Centre & he is a wonderful soul. You can tell by the smile on his face that his heart is pure & he is as genuine as they come. Jaco asked for some fresh squeezed juice yesterday & here was Augustine with grapefruit & orange juice for us! Wow! Life is good! Did I mention, I am the luckiest girl on the planet?!?


I got ready for the day & Jaco joined me as we enjoyed a breakfast in the buffet. An omlette made just for me, as well as a few pieces of whole wheat toast (I found bread at the health food store!), and some Hoxsey approved granola with fresh blueberries, a banana & soymilk. Yay!


After breakfast we quickly changed & made our way to the pontoon to take a tender ashore. Neither Jaco, nor myself had ever been ashore here, so we pretty much went in blind! We found a shuttle that would take us to the beach, which was perfect. Jaco loves the water & I really wanted to try out my mask, snorkel & fins again before I venture out on a dive. I have applied for several dives over the course of the cruise, including my first night dive! Whoo hoo! Apparently you see sharks – SCARY! Can’t wait! Yay! I’ll keep you posted on that one!!!


We boarded an old school bus – Blue Bird & yes, it was blue, no longer yellow – and made our way to the beach, about a 15-20 minute bumpy ride. We had only been driving for a few quick minutes when the song popped into my head… ‘The wheels on the bus go round & round, round & round…'

We reached the beach & it was simply stunning. We enjoyed some time in the water - Jaco is such a fish! I don't know how he can stay afloat like he does, but he does it good! I tried out my gear & managed to see a few cool fish in the water. I laid on the beach & watched the clouds breeze past, Jaco swam way out to the sailboats anchored in the 'harbour', if you will! I joined him a little while later & we enjoyed a last bit of the water & sunshine before we had to head back to the ship.

Our lovely Blue Bird bus barely started, but eventually she did & we were on our way. Back onboard, Jaco went to his clinic & I went out on deck to watch the ship sail out. It was a very narrow passage & on both sides, we had small islands. One island was so small, it had a sandy 'yard', a house, a shack & of course, a guard dog. Btw, I've seen so many scraggly looking mutts running around this island, I'm not too sure why they have a 6 month quarantine law regarding dog importation! It's a joke! Anyhow, the little island was pretty neat stuff, as was the atoll on the other side. Alongside the ship, a lone kayaker caught a ride in the ship's wake.

I've just come back from a lovely dinner with the Medical Staff. Tracey is the Senior Nurse, who, coincidentally Jaco worked with in the UK when he did he A&E work (Accident & Emergency)! Derek is the Junior Nurse, hailing from Scotland - yes, he's got that great accent that keeps me on my toes, just to make sure I can comprehend what's being said! His girlfriend, Arlene, who is a Fitness Instructor in the Spa, also joined us. Between those 2, the 3 of us were well entertained for the entire evening. I'm sure they could have their own stand-up act! My goodness!

I'm absolutely stuffed! They arranged for a delicious meal for me & I even managed to squeak in some strawberries & whip cream for dessert! Yay! I'm not sure how much weight I'll be losing, only 20 lbs to go, but I'm taking the stairs everywhere - don't get too excited, the ship is small, generally 3-4 flights gets you anywhere - & my calves are killing me already. I haven't started the yoga yet, but Jaco has a nice spot cleared in the cabin for me to practice. Tomorrow is formal night & then it will be the first of many dives for the cruise! Hip hip hooray! I can't wait to tell you all about it!

Sleep well & keep warm - give a cuddle to whomever you're with!
Kisses & sunshine,
Maria & Jaco
xxxx




Last night's sunset!

The view out my window this morning!

Fresh squeezed, yes please!

My baby, off the ship!

The water is as beautiful as it looks!

The beach



My fish.

Waiting for the shuttle (to start) :o)

OMGosh, so not relavent, but a photo I just had to take.

Sea kayaker riding the wake of the ship

No man is an island, unless he has a house, shack & rabid dog.

The atoll

The atoll again, pretty neat stuff!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

What an amazing experience! I know that where you are and who you are with is doing amazing things for your spirit and your health :) Keep writing, I love the updates. I'm only slightly jealous as the windchill was -50C on Tuesday morning when we woke up at the farm. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! What an amazing place to be!!! Enjoy your time with Jaco, tell him we say "Hi". Take care. Robyn & Dawson

Anonymous said...

I agree, paradise! So nice to see pictures of you and Jaco together again - two hearts complete.
Janis

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been