.....::Recent Posts::.....

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Day 64 & 65 - Pitcairn Island & Christmas Eve!

Merry Christmas everyone!

I hope this finds you nestled up with your loved ones around the fire, sipping a glass of full fat egg nog & nibbling on Turtles as children rattle & shake their presents, trying to guess what's underneath the pretty wrapping...

Meanwhile, back in reality, or a version of that... :o) We finally saw land again today! Unfortunately we didn't actually dock, but it was interesting none the less! Pitcairn Island has a population of about 50 people. Yup, 50. Five-oh. And you thought you knew your neighbors well! Ha! If you've ever heard the story of 'Mutiny on the Bounty', well, this is the island some of the shipwrecked stumbled upon. The rest is history!

We circumnavigated the island, while 34 islanders came onboard to sell postcards, t-shirts, carvings, jewelry & what have you. So, yes, your math is right. Over 1/2 the island exited to visit our ship! Supposedly they only have about 12 cruise ships per year that visit the island, so I guess this was a pretty big deal! They did a little grocery shopping as well - I think the ship did a little donating too. Apparently they have to order their groceries 3 months in advance, as the ship only comes around every so often! Can you imagine?? We are so spoiled in our modern day world!

Their phone numbers are 4 digits long if you're just calling around the island. But if you call Pitcairn from abroad, you'll need to dial New Zealand's country code first! Not that they are any where near NZ or anything like that!

It was neat to watch them load their little boat with potatoes, onions, strawberries, kiwi fruit, apples, grapes, pop, rum, beer, meat, & oranges. I would think they should all be millionaires by the time they retire. Where on earth would you spend your money?!? I suppose there is always Ebay... ;o) Everyone on the island has a job & is paid by the government. I heard them saying the Priest is also the generator mechanic & something else, I just can't remember what it was! So the next time you think your town is small & remote... think again! That said, I'm still not moving to Northern Canada for 2+ years!!! At least it's warm in Pitcairn! :o)

Well, it's finally Christmas Eve. I've wrapped the presents in the previous cruises' 'Princess Patter' - the daily planner & list of events around the ship. What? You didn't expect me to pay $10 for one roll of wrapping paper in Papeete, did you? Reduce, reuse, recycle! :o) They are playing Christmas music around the ship & most of the staff are wearing Santa hats. It's quite festive, really! Now, if I only had a mandarin orange & some Noel Nog... :o)

I wish you the merriest of Christmases & hope that you are spending them with the people who mean the most to you. May your year end on a very positive note & may 2010 bring with it all the love, laughter, happiness, success & wealth you deserve. Love & hugs,

Maria & Jaco
xxxx


Pitcairn Island - The weather was better than what the photo depicts! (But it's no Bora Bora!)


Merry Christmas to the Pitcairner's!


Fill 'er to the gills, Johnny!


Food below, half the island above!


The Medics Christmas card I whipped up for them! Go Team!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an experience! Love your blog, Jill. Janis

Jenn said...

Merry Christmas to you & Jaco!! I'm a few days late reading and posting but your phone call was one of my favorite Christmas gifts. We head to the hospital tomorrow morning at 8 am, hope I can get some sleep tonight, it may be a while until I get good sleep again - who knows! I don't know if you read on facebook but I'm having a minor panic attack about the baby's name. She will no longer be Audrey, but I'll keep you posted when we meet her tomorrow! Can't wait to see pictures of Easter Island. Love you!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jill, we missed having you and Jaco at Christmas - I am glad to hear thought that you ahd a wonderful first Christmas together, the first of many I am sure!
We had 37 for Christmas dinner, Carolyn had to leave to go eat with her family. Yourself, Jaco, Jeff, Jori and her new firend were all missing and missed. Valentina forgot her Christmas shirt at my house so will get it off to your mom's somehow.
Take care and hope to see you very soon!
Love Karla, Stan, Chana, Daelin & Jaden

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been