.....::Recent Posts::.....

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Day 512 - St. Vincent

Yippee! Jaco & I finally made it off the ship today! Together! Bonus! We went to the 'Coconut Bar'. We took a water taxi around the island to a dock. From there Jaco swam across to another private island & I took another water taxi to that island. 


From there it went a bit pear-shaped. No, there wasn't a lover's quarrel or domestic dispute, our day just didn't go as expected. The coconut bar was just a bar. It was situated in the water - swim or boat up. They did have coconuts on the shelf, but when I asked how much for one, the Bartender replied that they were old & he wouldn't sell them to me. Hmpf. Then, when I finally go into the water, I kept feeling little jellyfish stings. Then I saw a biggish jellyfish - big enough! I was trying to tell Jaco to watch out, as he was swimming right for it. He had been stung on his way over, but didn't notice any that were big enough to spot with the naked eye. This one was. Then I saw another one. And another. Then I saw IT. A seasnake. Gross. Gag. Barf. Shudder. I despise snakes. And 'despise' is putting it mildly. 


I saw the seasnake in the grass about 12' under the water. I hollered at Jaco to look out for it & when I looked down, the snake was slithering through the grass in my general direction. That was it. I dog paddled faster than any Fido ever has. My time in the water was officially done. It still makes me shiver! Yuck. 


Now apparently seasnakes aren't poisonous. I don't care. They are a snake & I don't like them. The Bartender was quite interested to know exactly where the seasnake was, as he was wanting to catch it & make it up for dinner. Sick. I'll gladly send them a few chickens, pigs or cows. On the other hand, one less snake in the world certainly doesn't hurt my feelings. I am growing more & more certain that I died of a fatal snakebite in a previous life. 


Jaco was tired of jellyfish stings, so we took the boat to the other side & then waited for another boat. For a long time. Apparently we just missed the previous boat. While we waited, some local kids were having a heyday jumping off the docks. They were quite keen to use Jaco's mask & also try the underwater camera. I was a bit hesitant to give them the camera to use, but they were careful with it. One little boy couldn't have been more than 4 & he would bail off the end of the dock & surface flailing his little limbs to save his soul. He was adorable. No swimming trunks, just his undies... loving life & the sea & sunshine! Then the lot of them took turns bailing off the end of the dock, each one jumping crazier & crazier than the last. What a day!


We took the taxi back & Jaco went to work, I spent the evening folding papers for the Tour Desk & visiting with Larisa. She was shooting portraits, so I didn't visit that long, but I helped her carry a few things to the storage area. I still get the urge to do some Photog work every now & then! But NO Ressi please!


And then I got a migraine. Great. At least it happened at the end of the day & I could just fall into bed & sleep it off. Good thing, as I've got a tour tomorrow! Yay! Stay tuned... Hopefully some brilliant photos to follow! Thanks Theo, Carlo & Kevin! 


xxxxMaria


 Crystal clear water!
 Private Island
 My fish!
 Wannabe Fish
 Coconut Bar
 Fishies
 Swimming down for a shot
 Jellyfish
 Jellyfish
 SEASNAKE!!
 SEASNAKE!
 Coconut Bar
 Ally-oop!
 Whee!
 Now that's head first!
 Running for the water!
 The locals take a much deserved rest!
 Chillin' on the water taxi
 A really whacky photo of my head!
 Coral formations
 Jaco swims down to get a shot
 More colourful coral
 Purdy coral!
Swimming for safety from the seasnake!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been