.....::Recent Posts::.....

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 524 - Tortola

Hmpf. Today was supposed to be a brilliant day at the Baths in Virgin Gorda. Unfortunately the tour was cancelled. The ferry across to the Baths was $40. I didn't have that much time to waste & I didn't want to risk holding up/missing the ship, so I didnt' go. Boo. I was after a specific shot & I guess I'll just have to wait until another year before I can get it. Bummer.


Instead, I wandered into town & went to the Cane Garden Surf Shop. I visited my friend Maureen from Jamaica. She's been a sweetheart every time I walk through the doors. I'll miss her smiling face! She remembered me from the previous year when I bought a little dress from the shop. We exchanged details & maybe one day she'll visit us in Canada. 


Other items on the day's agenda included stops at the South African & British shops. Yes, that's right. On the little island of Tortola there is a shop catering to the South African clientele. They carry Ceres juice, Mrs. Ball's chutney, Astros & Peppermint Crisps, Rusks and even Grenadilla Twist! Jaco has me pick up a few litres of Litchi juice each cruise. The British shop carries numerous foodstuffs from the UK. Jaco likes the licorice allsorts, wine gums & jelly babies. 


After I'd cleaned out the cultural snack shops, I headed over to the cultural ice cream shop - La Dolce Vita - serving the best gelato in all the Caribbean! I always come here & have a dish of grapefruit & passion fruit. Yum!


I hauled the sweets back onboard for my Baby & headed up on deck. I was having a bite to eat with Paloma, one of the Photographers. We worked together on the Diamond Princess back in 2005. I haven't seen her since, but we have many mutual friends from various ships & contracts across the globe. She is also recently married - in fact, she married only 2 days before us! How crazy is that?! Her husband is also working onboard as a Chef. He is from New Zealand & has the most intense icy green eyes I've ever seen! They are soon finishing up their contracts & heading back to New Zealand. It was great to catch up with her!


I popped into the Medical Centre to say hi to Jaco & found Carla & Alessia there. We had a great visit again & I enjoyed meeting Miss Alessia. She was entertaining Becky all over the Medical Centre. It was quite cute!


The balance of the evening was spent packing. Ugh. I'm up to my neck in stuff & have no idea how I'm going to get it all off the boat. I'm happy I still have a few more days to sort things out!


xxxxMaria


 Maureen & me at Cane Garden Surf Shop
 Sunset leaving Tortola

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been