.....::Recent Posts::.....

Monday, March 21, 2011

Day 514 - Barbados

A day of bittersweet goodbyes & happy hellos, today found Leana, Bronwyn & Larisa leaving the ship. Larisa's Mom came onboard for a short while this morning & Jaco & I were able to meet her & bid them a fond farewell as they ventured out on holiday in Barbados. Leana & Bronwyn left for sunny South Africa. Leana is starting a new job & Bronwyn is getting married!


Jaco was busy on board, so I headed off the ship on my own. I wanted to go to the beach & I thought I would walk to the nearest public beach. I didn't think it was that far, so off I went. 


On my way through the terminal building, I stopped in Del Sol. Last year I met Leandre & Tiffani, who work there & also met Collet's family when they holidayed in Barbados a year or so prior. It was a bit of a small world/shot in the dark, but we had a great chat last year & I wondered what the chances were that they were both still working there. To my delight, they were!


We had a great visit! I've missed them! We must have talked for nearly an hour! I didn't want to wear out my welcome, so after we made plans to meet in 2012 at the Calgary Stampede & then at Carnival in Barbados, I was on my way to the beach.


It was a little further than I had initially thought. I think it took me nearly 30 minutes to walk there. But once I was there! I had the entire beach to myself! I think there were maybe 3 people that came by, but they didn't stick around. I had a most relaxing time bobbing in the stunning, crystal clear blue-green water. The waves gently rolled in to kiss the white sand beach. I was about to get out when a young lad came along & hopped into the water. He started chatting to me & oh my. He had the thickest accent I've come across yet! I couldn't understand half of what he said. He has a young son, but he isn't married. He didn't seem too impressed by the girls on the island, claiming they were only after money. He works in the construction industry & doesn't live to far from the water. Of course, this was the most of what I got out of a 20 minute conversation. At one point, I'm certain he said, 'Gonorrhoea', but that certainly didn't fit into our discussion!


After walking back to the ship, I grabbed my laptop & headed back out to do some internet. I posted my postcards I had written on the previous cruise & was just finishing up the last few cards when Leandre found me sitting on a bench outside. We visited for a good hour to hour & a half! I was so touched that she spent the time talking with me after a long day at work when she could've just slipped past me & went home. 


We called Collet's Mom on the MagicJack & I surprised Peggy & Chris by telling her who I was with. It was great! After Leandre left, I phoned Mom2 & sat outside to finish my postcards. There was a frangipani tree close to the bench I was sitting on & it smelled delicious. I wish I lived in a climate that could support frangipani trees. I'd have my own forest of them!


And with that... the day was over... Lekker slaap,
xxxxMaria


 The Gals & Guy of Del Sol
See you in 2012 Girls! 
 The Cricket Stadium
 Kensington Oval
 The beach all to myself!
 Stunning water!
 The ship isn't too far away!
Mr. Gonorrhoea!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been