.....::Recent Posts::.....

Saturday, September 04, 2010

Day 316 - Back To Alberta

I swear, Super 8 puts something in the bedding laundry that makes you sleep. I could NOT wake up this morning. (Or any of the other mornings for that matter!) Jaco woke me up at 1000 & I was finally able to become coherent enough to stay awake & start the day. We packed up our things & picked up a soup & sandwich for Granny. She was in the middle of lunch when we got there, so we waited in her room until she was finished.

They wheeled her back to the room about 4 minutes after we sat down. She managed to eat half of her soup & drank 2 tiny glasses of water. She also ate one of the zucchini muffins Mom had sent, although she gave half of the muffin to Valentina. I think Granny thought we couldn’t see her divvying up the muffin & ‘dropping’ it on the floor. Valentina thought this was fantastic!

We visited with Granny for a few hours – she was quite a bit better today than she had been the previous days. She talked about the days gone by & different things from the past that made her smile & laugh. It is really heart breaking to see her sitting there, unable to hear & see & walk. What is the point of living if you can’t communicate with anyone else? She has given of herself for her entire life – she helped her less than pleasant mother raise 8 other siblings, she was widowed after 25 years of marriage (35 years ago) & she has selflessly given her time, patience & money to so many others for her entire life. And now she sits in the home, waiting for the end to come. It is gut-wrenching sad.

If I can throw out my 2 bits worth, cherish your family & keep them close, as you’ll want them nearby when the days of your life have been lived.

We had a hiccup with the meds for Granny’s infection – the Lodge told us yesterday that someone had picked them up. Today they told us that no one had picked them up. So we went & collected them, returned to the Lodge & delivered the meds.

Finally we were on our way. I drove out of the city via downtown & showed Jaco the University, riverside parks bridges & the Delta Hotel. He was impressed with Saskatoon.

We drove as far as Brock when we turned off the highway to head towards the Massey’s. I met Elaine when I was in Mexico at Castillo’s. She had Lymphoma & was there for treatments. I had spoken to Elaine back in January after Dr. Castillo had given me her bio with a telephone number. I called Elaine & she told me all about her experience with Dr. Castillo. When I went to Mexico in April, I saw Elaine & thought I recognized her from somewhere. It wasn’t until I heard her voice that I KNEW I had spoken to her before! Finally I put two & two together… Or so I thought. We visited for a bit & when I told her I had worked as a Photographer for Princess Cruises, well, it turns out that her & her husband had been my subjects when I worked on the Star! They remembered me! The crazy thing is, I remembered them too! They had traveled with 2 other friends & I shot them all on the white backdrop.

When we stopped today to see Elaine & her husband, I recognized him right away. Of course, they showed me the photo & it was so cool to return to that moment, forever frozen in time. We had a great visit & I was disappointed we had to leave. I am sure we could have chatted all night long about health & travel! Elaine has had to start chemo again & her hair is falling out because of it. I think she looks fabulous with short hair! Anyhow, I am excited for the day when we can celebrate of good health & look towards the future without the shadow of cancer following us!

We left for Kindersley where we stopped to wash the bugs off the windshield & grab a quick bite. It was nearly dark when we left & there was a lightning storm on the horizon. We soon drove through it, with very little rain & plenty of wind.

We chose a different route home as to avoid the construction, but in any case, it was a late arrival home. I’m happy to have a morning to sleep in & not have to go anywhere!!!

Lekker slaap & don’t call early!!! :o)
xxxx
Maria, Jaco & Valentina


Elaine & Wendell & their grandson


Trying to capture the lightning on the way home. It didn't work.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been