.....::Recent Posts::.....

Monday, May 03, 2010

Day 193 - Bonaire

I do love Bonaire! The water is an absolutely gorgeous colour & so inviting! Even to a land lubber like myself! I’ve never been a strong swimmer, although I do enjoy a good scuba dive from time to time. I had planned on diving in Bonaire, but with the migraines as of late, I decided that perhaps a snorkel would be better.

I left the Sea Princess shortly after we docked & boarded the Sea Cow. Yes, the Sea Cow. We putt-putted over towards the marine park (Oh dear, as I’m typing this, I’m in the TBC & some Asian fellow just hocked up the biggest loogie of his life. I think I’m going to be ill) ---- Meanwhile, back on the island… We had two snorkel spots. There was quite a wind & a current, so we were given instructions to swim against the current, thus making returning back to the boat in 45 minutes a much easier swim!

As I don’t feel comfortable ‘naked’ in the water, I donned a snorkel vest & pumped that baby up! It was so full that whenever I would turn in the water to look at a cool fish, my vest would pop up towards the surface on the other side! Hey, at least I wasn’t sinking!

The sea life was pretty amazing! The reef was right below us & there were plenty of fish everywhere you turned! They also have fire coral, so I was very cautious not to get too close to anything! I can never remember the names of the fish, but they were beautiful! Take my word for it! :o) I did see a spotted eel hiding in amongst the coral. It was beautiful & moved so gracefully!

Swimming in the ocean always makes me want to pee, so the first thing I asked for when I got on the boat was ‘Where is the loo?’ Huh? No loo? Oh dear! I could barely straighten up I had to go so bad! I have huge issues with going in the ocean & I’ve only done it once in my life & that was a life or death situation! I could tell by the way things were headed it was going to be a similar situation!

I had also incurred a migraine while I was snorkeling! Are you kidding me? Of all the times & places! So instead of pretty blue fish, I saw auras! Argh! Thank goodness it only lasted 15 minutes & I had Advil in my bag!

The second site for snorkeling was even better! We were really close to the coral, which meant the coral was really close to the surface. It was a beautiful dance of sunshine, water, coral, waves & fish… This is the life! And to make things even more spectacular, I saw a turtle! Hooray! I was hoping for a seahorse, but I will take a turtle any day! I absolutely love being in the water & experiencing life as a fish or any other sea creature! I will say that scuba diving is far more exciting than snorkeling, as I couldn’t get deep enough to get a closer look at the reef & all it had to offer. Oh Lord, please don’t let the chemo ruin my lungs. I would love to scuba dive again one day!

Back on the boat & we were headed back to the Sea Princess. I visited with a lovely couple from San Francisco who were on their 1st honeymoon. He gave me his business card & perhaps I will see them if I’m able to visit Jaco in a few weeks. While we sailed back to shore, a flock of seagulls hovered over the boat. The gal from San Francisco stuck up her hand like she had food & sure enough, the gull tried to take the bait! He didn’t get any food, but managed to break the skin on her finger! Yikes!

I nipped back on board to see what Jaco was up to & if Valentina was back. Yes, where was she? That is a great question! One of the Shoppies had offered to dog sit for me while I went on tour. Daniela saw Valentina the last time we were in Bonaire & fell in love with her. Every time I would visit the shops, she would ask where Valentina was. It became a ritual to swing by & let the girls get some cuddles in. I always had to giggle, as Valentina would smell like sweet perfume by the time we left!

When I returned, Valentina was still out on her date. As I would learn later, she was enjoying the lap of luxury. The resort they went to had large cabana beds & there was Valentina all sprawled out on her very own queen size cabana! What a girl! The resort staff told Daniela that dogs were not allowed, but Daniela simply shrugged & said, ‘She’s a Service Dog.’ And that was the end of that! So little Tweet Pea enjoyed a day of sun & sand & people waiting on her hand & foot. I can just imagine her in a past life. She must have been royalty being carried around by her servants, who fanned her with big, feathered fans. What a life!

I took the chance to venture out around the town again. There is really only one touristy street, so I strolled around & enjoyed another Rainbow Sherbet (I know, not on the diet!). I found a t-shirt with a little saying that has now become one of my favourite lines. It reads: Allergic to Land. Yup. That’s me! Gotta keep movin’! I bought Jaco a t-shirt with a map of the Caribbean & the flags of each island. It’s a neat way to see where you’ve been!

I’m starting to get sad… Tomorrow is our last port day! I don’t want the cruise to end! They have been getting massive amounts of snow back home & ridiculous storms! Nooooooo! I don’t want cold weather! I love the sunshine!

In any case, sleep well & here’s to a last day of sun, fun & adventure!

Maria, Jaco & Valentina
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox


Sailing out to our 1st snorkel stop

We're here! Let's get in!

Self portrait of a transplanted fish!

Little yellow fish

Check out the spotted eel! 

Little blue fish

Little stripy fish

Lotsa fish!

It's a snail! (iridescent - bottom left)

Coral near the surface

The flash really changes things!

Pretty colours

Super cool blue fish

I love to see the water from below

Off to school fish

Savouring every minute of this!

She doesn't want to get out!

Funky fish

Snorkel spot #2

Finger slicing seagulls


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Valentina's past life sounds an awful lot like her current life....I've seen pictures of the cart that you (her servant) uses to carry her around ;) Janis

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been