.....::Recent Posts::.....

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Day 194 - Aruba

Sniff, sniff. Today was the last port day. All that lies ahead are sea days & then it's home to face the music. 


Thankfully, I made the most of this precious day! Jaco was able to come off the ship today, but not until 1230 or 1300. I went off early in search of WIGS!!! Today was the day! Or so I thought! I had asked the Port & Shopping Guide on the ship, but unfortunately her advice didn't take me far. She sent me to a hair salon. Well, that works just fine for people who HAVE HAIR! I need a place for people who don't!


I asked a fellow on the street & he sent me to Bon Bini. After walking & walking & walking forever, I finally found it. Do you remember the old store chain, I think it was called 'Robinson's'? Well, it was a like an expensive dollar store with fewer aisles. AND NO WIGS. They sent me to another hair salon. 


I walked & walked & walked back to the main mall & asked the cab drivers if they could take me to a beauty supply store. They new the area, but had no clue where the shop was located. After 2 cabbies managed to successfully frustrate me & unsuccessfully help me, I gave a good 'ARGH!' & marched over to the concierge desk. Thankfully the lady working there new the address & told the cabbie where to take me. I just get into the cab & he decides he doesn't like a live animal in his cab. (Valentina was trying to keep cool in her little bag) Are you kidding me? Last time I was here, I was told I HAD to take a cab, as animals aren't allowed on the bus. Another 'ARGH!' moment. So, he drives me out of town & into another business district. As we turn off onto a deserted dirt road with no other cars, I begin to worry. Oh dear, where is he taking me & is there really a wig shop around here? Sure enough at the end of the road, there is the shop. He tells me to see if they will call a cab for me, as he doesn't want to wait. I hop out & run to the door. Locked. Closed for lunch. Missed it by 10 minutes. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!???? ARGH! ARGH! ARGH! NO!!! I am near tears! 


I return to the car & tell him they are closed. We go back to the mall. That was the easiest way I have ever lost $18 in my life. Cabbie driver did soften up a little - he called his daughter & she gave him the name of another place to try for wigs, but they were also closed for lunch. I had to meet Jaco, so there wasn't enough time. No wigs from the Caribbean. Sigh.


Valentina & I walked back to the ship, she'd had a good walk this morning & we saw a lot of Oranjestad! I walked into the terminal & the first person I saw was Jaco! He asked if I was ready for the beach & I told him I had to get my swimsuit, but otherwise, yes. Oh dear. The queue to return onto the ship was long & not moving. They have a power outage. Crud. 


We waited about 25 minutes to get back on the ship. Then we waited another 15 to get off. We asked at Information for a good beach & away we went. We ended up at the Hilton. The amenities were nice, but the water wasn't near as nice as the previous visit. The sand was almost muddy & there was plenty of seaweed, neither of which I encountered last cruise. 


We did, however, manage to score some loungers for free from a lovely family who was just leaving. They offered them to us & we jumped at the chance! Valentina made friends with a couple from Boston this time. The mother of the couple took Valentina away for awhile & cuddled & cooed over her. She was missing her dog something fierce! 


We played in the water for a bit & then lounged in the shade/sun. Jaco & I shared a fruit smoothie & Valentina cleaned the glass afterwards. It was wonderful to spend some time with Jaco & Valentina & have such a beautiful place to spend it in! None of us wanted it to end! 


We shared a taxi back to the ship with a couple from the UK. Jaco had to return to work & I was wiped from a full day of walking, heat & sun. (That's not a complaint, either, btw!) I went up on deck to watch sailaway & grab a bite to eat. My heart began to get heavy again - thoughts of packing & eventually goodbyes creeping into my mind.


But, there are still a few sea days ahead. I will take every chance I get to soak up the sun & spend every free moment Jaco has with him!


Lekker slaap,
Maria, Jaco & Valentina
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo


Valentina scores some cuddles from Boston!


Back in the water with Papa


Great family photo, minus the shake!


That's better! Although someone is missing a smile!


Not sure where this face came from! Salt water?


Forget the wind in your hair, there's nothin' like the breeze in your ears!


Refuge on Papa's back! (Papa looks handsome here!)


Going out on a limb.


I think she's longing for snow here?!


Swimming for shore!


Excuse me, but you're blocking my sun! And you're on MY lounger!


Now this is the life!


Workin' on her tan!


I love palm trees & blue skies!


Sailaway


The runway


Sea Princess & Oranjestad


Valentina charms the spa girls. She wanted a pedicure, but they were booked.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been