.....::Recent Posts::.....

Friday, May 07, 2010

Day 197 - The Journey Home

Forgive me if I'm not too excited to be coming home. I'm leaving my husband, getting off a luxury cruise ship, leaving the warm weather of the Caribbean & heading home to snow & 6 months of chemo. Yay.


I was up early & in the shower before Jaco was up. That's a rarity! I had to disembark by 0915. Luckily they were running behind, so it actually gave Jaco & I a chance to say goodbye. We hugged & hugged & kissed & kissed & hugged some more. It was awful. I'm getting really tired of saying goodbye. I have such a wonderful husband & all I ever seem to do is say goodbye to him. What's that about? 


After he left, I called the photo lab. Galina, AKA Gorjus Galina, was embarking today. I met Galina on the Star in South America. She is a STUNNING lass from Bulgaria & her personality matches her smile. To my happiness, she came to the dining room where I was waiting to leave & we had a quick visit before I had to go. It was wonderful to see her! My heart was a little happier after having just said goodbye to Jaco. 


But soon enough, it was time to go. Ronel came to my rescue & helped me with my luggage straight through to the taxi cab's door. What a sweetheart. Ronel is the Medical Steward who also helps keep the cabin neat & tidy! Luckily we were swept through a quick line. Sometimes it pays to be Canadian in a slew of British passengers! :o)


And then I was off. I had a bit of a wait in the airport, but thankfully it wasn't long before the Westjet folks showed up to take away my luggage. I visited with a Surgeon from Toronto who specializes in retina surgeries. Wow! While I was visiting with him, I spotted my friends from Pennsylvania from the ship! We said our farewells & I lugged my stuff onto the scale. I was 1/2 a lb under on one case & spot on the money on the other. That's 25 lbs over spot on the money... $50. Told ya. :o)


Luggage free, I grabbed some lunch & ate outside. The bench I sat on was concrete & it was so hot from the sun, I had to put my scarf under my butt because it was actually causing me pain - it was that hot! I took Valentina down one level & let her roam around on a grassy patch so she could get a bit of exercise & have a potty break before the flights. 


I then came inside to call Jaco. Today was his big day at the fertility clinic. I was so nervous he wouldn't make it to his appointment in time & the chances of ever having a mini-wee running around one day would be shot. Thankfully he was there & everything was in order. He said the people were really nice & he was enjoying the medical/scientific side of things. 


During my flight, I ended up sitting next to a lady from Ontario. She was heading home to celebrate her parents 65th wedding anniversary! She is a semi-retired events planner, so she had organized a big To-Do for them. The local newspaper & TV crews were going to stop by & an Italian radio station was going to do an interview. The were Italian - I knew I liked her from the beginning! How fun!


Westjet had told me I would sit behind the bulkhead with Valentina, but when I checked in online, I had no idea where the bulkhead was, so I just picked a seat. When I boarded, I went to the seat I had selected & got settled. (row 22) I had no sooner settled in when the Attendant came by & told me they had a seat for me in the front. Sigh. Okay. I haul my stuff all the way to the front of the plane. I was grateful for the seat, but would have appreciated being told a little sooner! Oh well. I'll know to ask for the next flight.


Next flight. Nope. Sorry. Dogs are in rows 21 & 22. I asked if that was where they put service dogs. She told me to wait until everyone had boarded & then we'd see if there were any bulkhead seats available. Luckily there was a lady who couldn't use the arm tray in the front, so she gladly took my seat in row 18. That left me in the front. But then the Attendants said I couldn't sit there with my dog. I explained that I had done so on the previous flight & I had been told I would have a bulkhead seat on both flights. They said 'All dogs are in rows 21 & 22'. I said, 'Even Service Dogs?' & showed them Valentina's card. It was like I'd slapped them across the face. They instantly apologized & said, 'Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, yes, this is where you sit.' Done. Thank you very much.


While I was in TO, I asked at information if there was a spot for dogs to relieve themselves. No. NO?! What do you mean, no? Is there seriously no grass anywhere at the Toronto airport? No. Now that is a crying shame. I'm sure I'm not the only person to travel through Toronto with a dog! Hmpf. Shows how much they know. I walk out the arrivals door & lo & behold... Across the road is a nice chunk of grass, trees, & shrubs. No where to go, huh? Yeesh. I had a notion to leave them a 'donation', but I didn't! I did, however, let them know where it was located when I came back inside! They didn't look overly impressed. 


On this flight, I sat next to a man whose eyes didn't really stay together & he prayed out loud the entire time they were doing the safety announcements & the Captain was speaking. I was slightly nervous. I was listening for the words, 'Allah, Allah, Allah', but didn't hear them. He went to sleep after his prayers were over. I'm typing this after I've landed, so nothing horrible happened, but it was creepy nonetheless! 


Naturally, Mom was late picking me up, but when she did arrive, oh boy! Valentina was pretty excited to see her! She went crazy! She whined most of the way home & didn't want to sit on my lap, only Nonna's lap! 


I was horrified to see snow on the ground. It made me want to cry. Oh please, send me back to the land of heat & sunshine. I could feel the vitamin D deficiency settling in already! I prayed that it would be melting & gone by morning!


What a day. I'm home, safe & sound & I suppose that's all that matters. 


xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox
Maria & Valentina


Ronel has a 3 month old baby back home. That he's NEVER EVEN SEEN! :o( 45 days to go!


Contemplate is frozen!


to.snow.es


NeverLate made it through the snow!


Nonna & Valentina


Just a little unpacking & rearranging to do!


Out for the count!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been