.....::Recent Posts::.....

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Day Twenty Two - Glimmer of Hope!

Just a little to.sun.es (sun between my toes!) :o)
A little vitamin 'D'!
The Poolside Experience!
Gotta love a palm tree in November!
The sign that says it all!
On the cabinet at the front desk in Dr. Castillo's office.


This morning my tea bag tag said the following:
"Happiness comes when you overcome the most impossible challenge."

And that's when I knew it was going to be a great day! It turned out to be a wonderful, sunny warm day. I was swift to get into the treatment room & get started on my IV. It went quickly & then came the antibiotic. Before I knew it, I was out of the room & anxiously awaiting my appointment with Dr. Castillo. My appointment was at 1000 & it was already 1100. I took Valentina for a quick walk to the end of the block & back. We do this everyday... She marks her spots, does her business & then we go back to the clinic to wait for the shuttle. But this morning would be a little bit longer because of the appointment.

In the treatment room, it had been a particularly social morning. Sam & Aida, the Amish couple from Wisconsin were leaving today & for whatever reason, the girls in the corner (& a few guys) got to chatting. It was lovely! The conversation just seemed to roll on & on without a moment's pause. One would never guess that we were strangers only a few weeks ago! Some of us a few days ago! And there we sat, solving the world's problems, laughing, learning & most importantly of all, healing! I'm so sad to be leaving! I love my new family & friends! **Sniffle, sniffle!**

Anyhow, back to the appointment... I was sitting outside in the sun with the Irish girls, Colleen & Sarah, Lorraine & Valentina enjoying some fruits & veggies when Rossy called me in to see the Doctor. So here it is... the moment of truth... What's my sentence?!?!

He asked about my appointment with Dr. Lozano & how it went. I told him, of course, that he wanted to do a biopsy & then chemo, of which I was very apprehensive about. I asked about my blood work & tah dah! My WBC went down!!!! Whoo hoo!!! It's still far from normal, but it's a lot better! It went down 5000!!! It's now at 12000, with the Lymphocytes & Neutrophils all over the show, but the antibiotics are working! Yay! Can you spell C-L-O-U-D N-I-N-E?!?!?!? I am so excited!!!!

Now what you ask? Well, Dr. Castillo felt the lumps in my neck & he believes they are softer than they were last week. For me it is difficult to say, as I feel them everyday & can't tell much difference. The Astesen is making me less itchy, which means I scratch my neck less, thus less irritation to the lumps.

He is prescribing me a low-dose generic chemo tablet that I can take at home for a span of three weeks. I am to test my blood in 1 month & then decide as to whether or not to begin the chemo. If I do, I will have blood work every 10 days & before I return to the clinic in February, I will have a CT scan to see where we are at. If things have not improved, then the inevitable biopsy will occur. If things are on the upswing (which they are already!), we will carry onwards & upwards! Hoo-rah!

With that wonderful news, I could have floated all the way across the border & back to the hotel! Sam & Aida were outside the hotel when I returned. They were waiting for their ride to pick them up. I offered to let them use my phone & room if they wanted to chill out while they waited. Aida just underwent fairly serious surgery late last week, so I hoped she would come & lay down. She did! We had a great visit & we shared a wonderful conversation about our 6 week grape diet/fast adventures!

I wanted to sit by the pool for awhile before it turned too chilly, so I left her laying on the bed & ventured out by the pool. I enjoyed some quiet time to myself & soon realized it was time to get ready for the shuttle to Henry's. I was happy to have the chance to pick up some more groceries, as my fruits & veggies were dwindling. I haven't had to cook for myself in a very long time, so I'm not to adept at knowing how much to buy for how long! I ran about the shop in the 1/2 hr allotted time & hopped back in the van right on time!

On the way back, I made plans with Stella, Inez & Lorraine to wander over to the little strip mall & check out the juice & smoothie place. I also went to the cheap shoe store & the little Mexican cafe. I bought a honey/strawberry smoothie for $3.50 & a veggie burrito for $4.34. Cheap dinner! Unfortunately the avocados are taking revenge on me! I used to be able to enjoy them no problem. Then one day, I ate some guacamole & my tummy turns to a brick. I feel sick & gross. So I stopped eating them. Fast forward 6 years later, I eat avocado again, no problem. Until today. OMGosh. I feel rotten. It doesn't matter what position I sit or lie in, it is uncomfortable. So rather than lament, I am off to bed & here's hoping I wake up with butterflies in my tummy rather than bricks! Thank you for your prayers! They worked! Keep 'em coming! And praise to the good Lord above for the grace he has given me today! Amen!

Sweet dreams & sleep well!
Maria & Valentina xxxxx


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been