.....::Recent Posts::.....

Friday, January 01, 2010

Day 72 - Happy New Year & Isla Ballesta

Happy New Year everyone!

I hope this finds you well & not suffering from too bad of a headache! :o) Our NYE was pretty low key. We enjoyed a nice meal in the dining room & then ventured out to one of the lounges onboard. We rocked up just a few minutes before the countdown, shared a kiss between each other & with a few others around & that was it! We were both tired, so we went to bed! Does this mean I’m getting old?

The next morning we were FINALLY on land. I’ve decided that I like cruising to PORTS, not a million days at sea! I never dreamed I would see land like this. It was nothing like I had imagined! It actually looked a LOT like Luderitz, Namibia. It was barren, desolate & absolutely nothing for as far as you eyes could see. It makes winter in Canada look a LOT more desirable!!! :o) (But don’t get any ideas!) Varying shades of sand & that’s about it! No trees, no rivers, no bushes, nada. And to think they built the city of Lima in terrain that is exactly like this! Luckily there is a river to supply Lima with water!

I had applied for the tour to Isla Ballesta to see the wildlife, but I didn’t get it. :o( They were both sold out. Not wanting to miss out, I thought I would go to the tour office & see if there was any space for me to purchase a ticket or if there had been any cancellations. Luckily, there were still a few seats left! I managed to squeeze onto the jet boat in the nick of time. Thank goodness for the older, slower passenger I spotted on the pier!

We took off at breakneck speeds for a 15 minute ride to the island. We stopped en route to look at the ‘Candelabro’ – a massive candelabra on the side of the sand dune. It was cactuses that had been planted in the shape of a candelabra. It is massive! Apparently it is visible from 15 miles away! They made it for the sailors, so they would know they were almost home!

When we approached the island, the first thing I noticed was the smell. Hello guano! (Espanol for bird pooh) The next thing I noticed was the swarm of birds overhead & on the island. I don’t think I have ever seen so many birds! Wow! We saw sea lions, pelicans, Peruvian terns, boobies (yes, that is the name of a bird), sea spiders (crab-esque critters), red legged Cormorants, and even the Humble Penguin. It was spectacular!

The swell was VERY intimidating! We would rise up 5-6 feet & then the water would wash back out & we would drop. The big deal you ask? Oh, nothing, except for the massive ROCKS everywhere! I was pretty nervous we were going to hit a rock, capsize & I’d be swept out to sea! Good thing there were so many interesting animals to distract me! We even managed to sea one lonely Blue Footed Boobie. So what, you ask? Blue Footed Boobies are from the Galapagos. This little fellow was clearly lost, either that or his internal compass was out of order!

On our way back, I spotted 2 pods of dolphins. I love dolphins. No matter how many times I see them, I still get excited & giddy, just like a little kid. They are so beautiful, fast & graceful in the water.

Once back on the ship, I had a quick bite to eat & then headed back out. I caught a shuttle to Paracas, a nearby fishing village. Before we left, I visited with the bus driver. His name was Gliserio. This is not a typical latino name, so I asked him about it. He is from the Highlands & his name is from there. I thought it was very unique & I liked the way it sounded. Anyhow, as it turns out, Gliserio drives bus for GAP Adventures, the travel company I used to work with! Small world!

Paracas was packed! It was New Year’s Day & I have no idea where all the people came from, but this little fishing village was filled to the gills! (pun intended!) People were in the water, on the beach, & they filled the little cafes & restaurants. It was pretty crazy! I wandered around, took a few happy snaps & then headed out of town to a monument on the hilltop. My main agenda was actually a little more sand; the monument was a side attraction! Happy with my sandy souvenir, I walked back to the shuttle & went back to the ship.

Paracas is a starting point for visits to the Nazca lines. I encourage you to google them. They are quite fascinating & I do hope that my travels will bring me back to explore more of Peru. There is a lot to see!

With that, I’ll bid you good night & see you tomorrow! Buenas noches, or bonus nachos, as my mother likes to say!

Love,
Maria & Jaco
xxxxx
 


Heading out to Isla Ballesta
 

Sand & more sand. And a buoy.
 

Interesting caves shaped by the water


Pelicans. One stopped for a brief visit.
 

The Humble Penguin.
 

I'm looking for my friend, the black & white one. Over there. Can you see him?
 

Sea spider
 

Peruvian Tern
 

American Sea Lion
 

More Sea Lions. They look as ambitious as I feel these days!
 

Boobies!
 

  Dulce suenos!
 

  The only, lonely Blue Footed Boobie!


Leaving Isla Ballesta


Enjoying some praline ice cream


Table Party Favours


This photo reminds me of Alice in Wonderland


Arlene, Derek's Girlfriend, Jaco & myself


Apres-New Year's Kiss


Our (poor) attempt at a self portrait!


NYE - the Captain & crew wish the passengers Happy New Year in many different languages. It was quite special!


Peruvian 7-11 & Desert Taxi


I suppose in the desert you don't have much need for a fire hydrant?


Valentina would really love this basket!


Fishing, swimming, it all mixes, right?


New Year's Day on the beach!


Oh, but they do start young to charm the ladies!


The monument & the only shelter for miles! :o)


Okay, so winter in Canada looks a little more liveable than this!

 

2 comments:

Jenn said...

Ok, so just reading about the swells, rocking of the boat and the rocks made me sea sick!! So glad you were able to get to land (rock I mean) and see some amazing wildlife. These are the moments where I think "how can people deny that there is an awesome God/creator?" Thanks for sharing your photos!

Anonymous said...

Great photos...I particularly like the "Alice in Wonderland" shot. Janis

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been