.....::Recent Posts::.....

Saturday, January 09, 2010

Day 80 - Limon, Costa Rica

Hola!

It’s great to be back! I have enjoyed visiting some of the same places again. You leave & think you’ll never be back & all of a sudden – POOF! Here you are! Well, there I am!
I had planned to take Jaco to a wildlife sanctuary near town, but when I inquired with some of the locals, they informed me that the family was no longer here. They had moved a _ hour away. Unfortunately we didn’t have that much time. When I was here several years ago, one of the Jewelers onboard organized a trip for us to visit this sanctuary. It was wonderful! I was able to hold a baby toucan, a baby howler monkey, a baby boa constrictor (yes, I hyperventilated!), sloths, a spider monkey, a scarlet macaw and many other beautiful birds & creatures. The couple who lived there were very hospitable & they lived right on the beach. Their son would explain to us about the rainforest & the animals. It was always a day well spent!

Sadly, the husband passed away a few years ago. I can’t remember his name, but her name was Marina & the son, Hector. I hope we can visit them next time we’re here.

So, it was on to Plan B. Jaco didn’t have much time (as usual!), so we ended up taking a tour through the Tortuguero Canal. It was $50 well spent! We took a small boat up the canal looking for wildlife. The vegetation was astounding. Massive trees stretched up as far as you could see, lush & green, the air was among the freshest I could breathe. We saw several sloths, many egrets & one blue heron. We spotted a Cayman – a small alligator, along with a chameleon & an iguana. There were several colourful birds flitting about the mangroves that lined the canal. We saw banana plants & some sugar cane. It was great! The sunshine was wonderful too!

We headed back to town & strolled to the local supermarket. Jaco was on the hunt for nut bars. He enjoys a diet of mainly citrus & granola bars. Luckily they had some & he was able to replenish his stash.

He left me in the market, where I found a few last minute souvenirs. It was difficult to shop, as I shouldn’t buy wood – chopping down trees in the rainforest – but then I shouldn’t buy leather – chopping down trees in the rainforest to raise cattle on soil with no nutrients. What’s a girl to do? This ain’t no boot shop in Italy, I know that much!

There you have it. That’s the last port of call until I fly home. I’m super sad that it’s come to an end. The warm weather & sunshine, exotic places to visit, but most of all, the time I spend with Jaco. He’ll fly to Barbados & I’ll fly back to Calgary. I don’t know for certain when we’ll see each other again. My heart is heavy knowing that we’ll spend so much time apart, but I will hold near & dear the certainty that we’ll meet up again, in an unknown location & feel the same rush of emotion that yes, this is the most wonderful person I could have possibly chosen to spend the rest of my life with. As I’ve said before, I truly am the luckiest girl I know.

This will most likely be the last blog post until I’m back in the Frozen Land. Thank you for continuing to follow along as I endeavour to regain my health & enjoy each & every day along the way. Here’s to a wonderful year of HEALTH, happiness, laughter, love & peace!!!! May we all pray for peace, one by one, & make it happen around the world! God bless!

Muchos besos,
Maria y Jaco
xxxx



Three egrets


One egret perched


One egret walking in the water


Can you see the iguana? At least I think that's what's in this photo! :o)


Lush & green!


Honestly, there's a sloth in this photo!


Banana flower


Mangroves... I'm going back someday to Blue Bayou...


The head of a s-l-o-w moving sloth!


Karma Chameleon - You come & go...


Beautiful canal boats


Heron!


Best Wildlife I saw the entire tour!


Our ride & guide. Note the message on the windscreen. **Ahem** I didn't notice this until we were on our way. Yes, I was a little worried we might end up someplace not so nice. Luckily he was happy to bring us back & take off to chase some 'ladies'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh... the captions again...make me smile! Costa Rica has my heart forever - I had flashbacks as I was reading your post. However, only you my dear friend, can work in something about Italy in a blog post on Costa Rica! Safe travels, Janis

Jenn said...

Jill & Jaco,

My hearts breaks for both of you bc Mike and I know how difficult it is to say goodbye to one another not knowing when you will see each other again. Our prayers surround your marriage for blessings, happiness, health and joy for your reunion, whenever and wherever that is!

I can't wait to see you Jill! Have safe travels home :) I know it is cold but we welcome you home with warm hearts!

Love you Aunty Jill!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been