.....::Recent Posts::.....

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Day 300 - BodyWorlds

I'm not sure that Jaco & I will ever get a roaring start on any day. Today was no exception. We had intentions to hit Bodyworlds, Eat Pray Love, Mom2's, & prayers. We made it to 2 of the 4. Had I not lost my way to Mom's framing shop, we may have had our visit with Mom2. Of course, had I not lost my way, I would never have found the knit shop I'd been looking for for 3 months, the used car part shop I'd been told about or the leather supply shop. :o)


In any case, we finally picked up the prints for Mom & made our way to Bodyworlds. We went in around 3 o'clock. Nearly 4 hours later, we were done! It was very interesting. In the beginning, I got quite dizzy. I'm not sure if my body was adjusting to all the standing, or if it was the icky tissue & tendons my eyes were resting upon. In any case, I was glad it passed! 


We neglected to purchase one of the audio guides & when I saw most people listening intently, I thought I was missing out. So, I returned to the entrance & passed the gal $5. What a waste that was! Jaco told me far more than the audio guide ever could! I told Jaco he should have set up a table outside & given tours for $5/person! It was fantastic to have a Doctor as a guide! 


It was really quite brilliant how the Master Plastinator shaped the bodies into different positions & how the muscles & tendons work. The smoker's lungs were particularly disgusting. They actually had an 'I Quit!' bin where smoker's could pitch their pack of cigarettes right then & there. (It was 3/4 full too!) You can do it! You can kick the habit! Be strong! 


We saw tumours in all different body parts, a slice of a man who died from obesity. It was gross to see his fat was not just on his belly, legs & arms, but actually all throughout his organs & that was what killed him! Ugh! 


Particularly sad/interesting was the woman who was five months pregnant. You could see the tiny fetus curled up inside the uterus. There were also displays of fetuses at various stages throughout pregnancy & even embryos at different weeks of development. 


When we were there, the information indicated that 84 Canadians have signed up for Plastination upon their death. 


We missed the video - The Human Body by BBC - so hopefully we can find it online somewhere. Apparently it's quite good! And of course, my grandest disappointment... Not ONE single mention/display of the Lymphatic System. I want a refund. :oP


After our 4 hour body marathon, we headed to Lawrence's for prayers tonight. We were the only ones to show up, which was great, as we had a wonderful visit with him & got a few good prayers in too! (2 of which materialized 24 hours later! Thank God!)


On that note, I'm off to bed! Amen!
xxxxx
Maria, Jaco & Valentina


At the beginning of our 'inner quest'

Trying to look (ex)pensive

Fascinating!

No photos allowed inside, so this billboard along the sidewalk will have to do!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you made it to Body Worlds together - it really is fantastic! Janis

Jenn said...

I was woozy when you described everything to me, I could have never gone!! Cudos to you (and you too, Janis!) for going.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been