.....::Recent Posts::.....

Monday, February 22, 2010

Day 123 - Day One of the Road Trip

Well, as usual, I packed way too much stuff & left way too late! I had planned on leaving home at about noon, but it was nearly 3 by the time I pulled out of the yard. I had checked the Weather Network & the forecast was calling for mild weather for most of my journey. Off we go!

I am never too excited about driving to Saskatchewan. It’s always such a long drive & not too much happens along the way! I take 22x on the south end of the city & cut across past Gleichen to Hwy 1.

From there onwards, it’s a matter of ticking past the towns & cities… Bassano, Brooks, Medicine Hat, Maple Creek, & finally Swift Current! I pulled into Grandma B’s about 2100. I was completely wiped, but Grandma B was wide awake.

She informed that her friends had just left – they watched The Bachelor together & ‘There are only 2 girls left for him to pick!’ Now she was heavy into the Ice Dancing on the Olympics. She told me this is the only time she’s ever channel surfed! ‘There’s just so much to see & I hate to miss anything!’ I love my Grandma! :o)

We witnessed a Gold medal for Canada & I do love music & movement, so I enjoyed the skating as well! We visited until 0100 & then we both crashed! Even Valentina was played out!

For 83 years old, in fact, 84 in a few weeks, she does pretty amazing to live on her own & keep as active as she does. She told me of my Aunt Laureen taking figure skating lessons when she was young & Grandma had to drive & pick her up in the neighbouring town & when she got home, it was 7 p.m. & nobody was fed and she still had a night of work to do. Grandma B has 8 children. Oh My Goodness. When I stop to fathom exactly what that means, I am flabbergasted! I can barely look after myself & a dog, let alone a baby, yet never mind 8 of them! My hats off to Grandma B – what a feat!

Anyhow, that was day one of my road trip. Here’s to a fun drive tomorrow. Ha!

Sleep well & see you soon!
xxxx
Maria & Valentina

And that's about as exciting as it got.

Even Valentina couldn't stay awake.

1 comments:

Jenn said...

Good ol' highway 1!! We are happily moved into our cute little apartment, I can't wait for you to visit :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been