.....::Recent Posts::.....

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Day 124 - Granny's 95th Birthday!

Wow. How many people do you know who have made it to 95 years old. My Granny is one amazing gal!

I left Grandma B’s around 10 – one hour behind schedule. She had me drop off a garbage bin she’d sold to a lady across town. By the time I finally found the place, I knock on the door, bin in hand, only to have the old bitty say to me, ‘Oh, no. That’s not what I want! I don’t want that! You can keep it!’ Thanks for coming out! I had paid Grandma B $10 for the bin, thinking the lady would pay me $10 for the bin. I didn’t have time to go back to Grandma B’s, so I left for Saskatoon, bin in car. I would send it back with Mom the next day when she left Saskatoon for home.

It was another long & relatively uneventful drive. I passed the time by taking ‘drive by shootings’ out the car windows, texting, listening to my iPod & singing my heart out. I managed to make decent time & stopped in Delisle for fuel. It’s generally a few cents cheaper than the city.

Mom had met up with Aunty Laureen & her daughter, Joleen, and Joleen’s three kids, Adison, Rhett & Nate. They were at the food court in the mall nearby & were on their way. Granny had no clue we were coming. I snuck up to the room to surprise her & she was certainly shocked! Even more so when Mom, Laureen, Joleen & kids came through the door!

We enjoyed cake, sang happy birthday & shortly after cake, Aunty Margaret showed up another cake! She was soon followed my Uncle David & Aunt Elva! It turned out to be a real humdinger of a party! And here Granny thought nothing would happen! Ha!

Perhaps the funniest part of the afternoon was when little Rhett explained his potty training to us. You see, when it’s a little poo, he gets a little marshmallow. When it’s a BIG poo (arms WAY up in the air, BIG eyes & an excited voice), he gets a BIG marshmallow! I think he told us again about the small vs. big, but I won’t repeat it! Too cute for 2 & a 1/2!

Pretty soon Granny got tired & we knew that was our cue to leave her alone for awhile. Before we left, Mom & I asked her what she wanted for supper. You’re 95 – splash out! Steak & lobster? Take your pick! Nope, her reply was, ‘Well, a hamburger from McDonald’s would be nice.’ Really? Really, really? Yup. No cheese, no tomato, just plain. I suppose when you’re 95 you can have whatever you want. It sure made me giggle!

We ate dinner with Granny & although I tried to lift the level of dining by offering a salad & some shrimp bruschetta, she would have none of it! We visited a little longer & then I drove Mom to meet Aunty Laureen again. We said goodbye & I left to meet Trisha. Mom was on her way home & I was just getting started!

Trisha was having a Silpada party at a friend’s place. I have never been to one, so it was nice to see some creative silver designs. And NO, I didn’t even buy anything. I think I picked out the most expensive piece in the catalog. Are you surprised? Even more surprised I didn’t take it home with me?

We finally got to Trisha’s house about 2300. We sat & talked until nearly 0200. I was so exhausted! What a day!

I was looking forward to a bit of a lie in – let me tell you!

Have a great sleep & see you tomorrow!
xxxxx
Maria & Valentina


Neat old buildings between Kyle & Elrose

True Definition of 'The Open Road'

Junkyard of old cars outside Kyle, SK

Old trees near the highway outside Kyle. When I was little I used to think that would be a neat place to live because of all the big trees.

Sometimes the horizon blended right in to the landscape!

Again, hard to tell where the land ends & the sky begins!

The Hutterite colony close to where we used to live. I used to go there & play with the hutterite kids.

Our old home. It's the little shack to the left. I remember riding my bicycle - with training wheels, getting my mouth washed out with Zest when I swore. Hey, it wasn't my fault! I took the garbage out with the Boss' nephew. When I came back in the house, I repeated what I'd heard. Mom asked me how it was & I replied, 'We saw a f***ing pussycat!' Oh dear. I was only 3 & I can still remember the Zesty burps. 

My daily reminder that what's behind me doesn't really matter. The past is the past.

Reason #759 why you should never listen to Yanni while driving!

Someone else asleep at the wheel!

388,000 kms on Contemplate. Did I mention it was free? Yes, the dash detaches below the steering wheel & reveals a great hiding place for Mom's missing edamame beans (don't worry, Adios caught the mouse!). Yes, the trunk pops open from time to time when you hit bumps. No, there isn't a stereo. But it was free & it runs!

Uh-oh. Fog ahead!


The fog rolling in & around.

Counting oil wells!

Peeling back the fog & 'I can see clearly now'

The bustling metropolis of Elrose, SK. We lived here from 1982-83.

Whoops, a little more fog!

Granny's 1st Birthday cake & Adison helping Grammy.

Nate - only 6 months, but measures in at 12 months! What a cutie pie!

6 months & 95 years old.

Adison & Valentina sharing cuddles & kisses.

Joleen, Granny, Nate, Adison, Laureen & Rhett - Joleen does something right. These are the best behaved kids I've ever seen! Wow! You deserve a prize!!!

Myself, Granny & Mom

Having a heart-to-heart with Nate.

Rhett & Adison - ready to go home!

Granny & her niece, Margaret

David & Elva - David is Granny's brother-in-law

 
I bought 95 flowers from Costco for Granny.
Yup, it's true. Camo floral wrap. What can I say?


1 comments:

Jenn said...

What a sweet and thoughtful gift, 95 flowers. You are always one step ahead :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been