.....::Recent Posts::.....

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 456 - And We're Off! Well, I Am!

I was quite happy that I decided to drive to the city last night & stay at Mom2’s. It was a lot less stressful & I actually slept in a little! I was happy to have one last snuggle with the girls before I left them behind. **sniff, sniff**

My flight was at 1300, so we left for the airport shortly after 1000. Mom2 is getting the hang of picking me up & dropping me off at the airport. The first time it was $18 in parking charges, so now she drops me off & has made friends with the security fellows as to when to pick me up.

The first leg of the flight was to Houston. I was mildly upset, as Mike, Jenn’s husband, was in Houston for training & I couldn’t even get out to see him! Drat!

I spotted some fellows with plenty of pelican cases & assumed they were photographing/videoing something. Sure enough, I questioned them when we got to Houston & they were working for the BBC doing a documentary on extreme weather patterns around the world. They had just left Yellowknife in the Northwest Territories & were headed for Buenos Aires, Argentina.

I also met another couple that never had children & were traveling to Antarctica, Chile & Argentina for 6 weeks. (!!) They had been to South America previously & loved it so much they decided to go back. I LOVE to hear of people’s decision to travel to Antarctica. You can’t help but fall in love with Mother Nature when you travel there. It stirs something in your soul & never lets go completely. Of course, Africa is the same. As is Europe. As I type this in the Caribbean, there’s something about the blue-green waters & white sand of the tropical regions of the world. Leave me in Bora Bora or Yasawa or Barbados any day. Sigh. I do love to travel… That said, I’m grateful for the safe & uneventful flights I took today!

The flight to West Palm Beach wasn’t too long. Before I knew it, I was collecting my bags & heading outside to look for Alessandra. Who? Alessandra. She is the amazing young woman I met on the Star Princess back in 2007 when we sailed across the Atlantic, throughout Europe & up to the Baltic. She was onboard with her absolutely adorable son, Gianfranco, her parents & her uncle. We ended up on several tours together & I got to know & love them. Alessandra & I kept in touch via email over the years (although miserably on my part!) & this summer, she found me on Facebook. I told her of my health issues & she immediately suggested I come to Hippocrates. When she said it was close by, I didn’t question how close ‘close’ really was. Turns out she lives in Miami & it’s a 2 hour drive! I felt terrible when I realized the distance & I’d asked her if I could stay with her & Gianfranco!

Sure enough, she met me outside the airport & away we went to their home 2 hours away. We had a wonderful visit en route & a chance to catch up on what we’ve been missing these past few years.

Before I knew it, we were turning off the freeway & into a residential area. It was now nearly 0100. We were both tired. She showed me around the house & I tried to be as quiet as possible. Gianfranco was sleeping & her Mother was visiting.

Their home was beautiful! I LOVE her style – but then, I loved her taste in fashion from the day I met her… Of course I’m going to love her home! When it comes time to decorate Jaco & I’s home – WHEN – I know whom I’ll call to help with the décor!

 My head hit the pillow & it was lights out.

xxxxMaria in Miami

Only in Calgary will you find a bootjack at security. I found this hilarious. When I asked if I could take a photo of it, security didn't understand my sense of ha-ha. What's up with that?
Houston Airport.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been