.....::Recent Posts::.....

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Day 464 - South Beach

This morning we went to the beach! I didn’t have a lot of time before I had to catch the train, so we went to South Beach & my roomie showed me around some of the fancy Art-Deco hotels. She is studying Interior Design & Fashion Design, so this was right up her alley!

She knew which designers had decorated which hotel, where the parties & get-togethers happened on what days of the week, and of course, the history of the hotels in the area. After the beach & the hotels, we walked down the main pedestrian street. There was a Sunday market in full swing, so we checked out the orchids, cocoa butter, pastries… of course, we didn’t eat any! I took a salad with me for yesterday & tonight I’d be back at the Institute for dinner.

We zipped back to the house, picked up the suitcase & made our way to the train station with a few minutes to spare. I was sad to say goodbye to my roomie. We got along so well last week & had a lot of fun times together. I was worried about who my roommate would be this coming week.

I told her I’d see her in the coming months, as I was certain one of Jaco’s ships would be sailing out of Fort Lauderdale at some point in the game!

The train ride went well. The bus, not so much. I had the address written down & I knew it was a left hand turn after the freeway. I thought it was I-95. Apparently it was the Turnpike. Minor detail! I had half the bus trying to figure out where I was going. One lady was convinced I was headed to a rehab place for alcoholics & drug addicts. I assured her it was not. Finally one gal got on the bus & she knew where Hippocrates was. The bus driver dropped me off in the middle of nowhere & I walked about a mile back to the Institute. The last leg seemed forever away. I was beginning to wonder if I’d taken the wrong road! Suddenly this white Avalanche pulled up beside me, the window rolled down & I cringed as I didn’t know what was about to come…

It was John! My friend from the Institute! He cleans the main hall every night & although it usually closes at 2100, he lets me stay later & use the internet to talk to Jaco. He’s a real sweetheart & tonight his timing was impeccable! He was on his way to work. He gave me a ride home & I was safe & sound by 1730 – just in time for dinner!

I was plenty hungry! Sprouts have never looked so good! Needless to say I had a heaping plate! Yum!

What a whirlwind of a weekend… I won’t forget it anytime soon… That’s for certain!

xxxxMaria


High rise on the beach
South Beach
Pretty water, pretty beach
Ooh la la
Yours truly on the beach
More high rises & hotels
Fancy decor
Funky chairs
Help me out - who is the designer?
Loved the curtains blowing in the breeze
White washed
More creative designs
Crazy designs
Wheel barrow/wheelchair
Pool party anyone?
The 'it' place one day of the week!
Another funky hotel - same designer
I want a bed outside! Thanks!
Hotel
Sunday market
Orchids!
Beautiful!
I've been here! In 2003 with Jenn & the men of the past!
My bus stop. A lot of miscommunication!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been