.....::Recent Posts::.....

Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Day 529 - Barbados to Miami to Atlanta

This morning we enjoyed a nice lie-in & woke up around 1000. We went outside for one last glorious dip in the ocean. Jaco swam a LONG way out & I bobbed in the waves for a while, returning to the lounger to soak up some last-minute sun. The water looked absolutely stunning & was far too inviting to pass up. I didn’t want to leave!

We rushed back to the room, showered & packed up the room. The cab driver was patiently waiting for us as we slowly arrived with our luggage. I managed to drag a suitcase over my big toe & partially ripped it off & partially bent it backwards. Ouch. A little blood, but I’m still walking strong!

We made it to the airport in about 20 minutes. I’m not sure how fast we were driving & neither was the cab driver. His speedometer didn’t work! Jaco was impressed with the Tom Adams roundabout & I was impressed with the frangipani trees lining the sides of the road. I would love to live somewhere they grow freely!

We checked in & hooray! We were flying Business Class! That meant, 3 bags each at 32 kgs! No baggage fees! It certainly is my lucky day! We sat on a bench & enjoyed the warmth a little longer. Jaco stayed with the luggage while I walked out & sat in the sunshine for a few minutes – one last time! The air was nice & fresh, with a warm breeze to keep you somewhat cooler.

I took one last sip of my water before we passed through security. I was happy they had a little garden area so I could at least dump my water on the plants, rather than in the garbage! I think all airport security areas should have plants! Think of how many mini gardens we could feed!

Jaco found a few magazine he wanted & I found stamps for my postcards. We rushed to our gate, only to arrive in time to hear an announcement telling us that our flight was delayed by an hour. Last night we checked the forecast in Miami & they were forecasting thunderstorms. Apparently the weatherman was right for a change, as our delay was due to thunderstorms! We relaxed & passed the time with free wi-fi. I must say, I sure appreciate free wi-fi, especially when traveling!

When it was time to board, we were supposed to leave the terminal & walk out to the plane on the tarmac. As I left the building, one of the staff told me I had been selected for special security screening. Great! I don’t mind so much, but it is kind of annoying, considering that I already passed through the regular screening with x-ray machines & such & now they want to go through ALL of my bags with a fine toothed comb. The part that bothered me the most was the fact that I carry a lot of my valuables & camera gear in my carry-on. The lady screening me didn’t know what was what & managed to mess up my packing job quite sufficiently. Then she tried to rush me out of the way, when I obviously had to repack my bag with due care. When I finally had it re-packed, I joined Jaco & we headed over to the plane. It was beautiful – blue sky in the background, shiny silver plane, my handsome husband – time for a photo! I took one photo while Jaco was getting ready & all of a sudden I’m being hollered at! I can’t take a photo of the plane! What?!? Groan. AMERICAN Airlines. What is it with this country? They think I’ve never seen a plane before? They think I can’t gain access to a photo of whatever kind of plane it is we’re flying on? Give me a break! I’m taking a souvenir photo of my husband as we begin our long journey home. Which, by the way, after this moment, just got THAT much longer. Jerks.

Thankfully, once we were finally on the plane, it got a whole lot better! I’ve never flown Business Class before. It was awesome! Plenty of leg room, reclining chairs with a leg lift, cushy seats, frequent drink service, decent food (I never understood how Jaco could say that airplane food was good. Now I do!) , touch screen tv’s… I’m being spoiled now!

We arrived in Miami just past 2000 & managed to collect our luggage straight away. We had no issues passing through Customs & before we knew it, we had an hour or so to kill. Our flight to Atlanta was delayed by 1.5 hours, so we wandered around the airport for a while. We bought a few snacks & tried to go online. Wouldn’t you know it, but they charge for access. Since we only had 30 minutes before we were boarding, it wasn’t worth the money. Hopefully the hotel will have access.

As I type this, we’re on our way to Georgia. It’s only 9 degrees there! I think we’ll be quite cold, considering our previous evening cooled off to 29 degrees! (We slept with the balcony door open – listening to the waves crash on the beach all night. Perfect!) We’re in First Class, but it’s nothing compared to the previous flight. No tv’s, no food, no foot recliner… Listen to me complain. Help when I’m back in economy!

Stay tuned for tomorrow we fly ALL the way to Africa! Yay!

xxxxMaria

Last day in paradise! 
 My Baby after a morning swim
 Sigh. So sad to say goodbye to this!
 Flying fish in the airport
 Oh Yeah Baby! First Class!
 In the airport
 Leaving on a jet plane! (Shortly before I was yelled at by AA staff - apparently there isn't to be a record of their planes. ??)
 Having fun with Photobooth in Miami


 Aren't we cute?
Mini kiss.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been