.....::Recent Posts::.....

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Day 530 - Atlanta, Georgia

Arriving at our hotel at 0200, I wasn't sure I was going to see the day come to pass. When we arrived in Atlanta, we had so much luggage & the trolleys weren't free. I'm not about to pay $4 per trolley when they aren't even big enough to carry our luggage. So, after much manoeuvring I had things rigged up & we could delicately balance our load through the Atlanta airport to try & find a shuttle to our hotel. 


Just our luck the shuttle stopped running at 0130. It was, at that time, 0140. So, we found a cab. There was a long line of taxis & naturally, they send us to the guy in front. He had his seat reclined & couldn't get up to let us in the cab. When he did get out, he wasn't impressed at our luggage & didn't make a move to put it into the back of the van. After Jaco started to pack it in a way the driver didn't like, he then attempted to help us. Only he had the worst gas in the world. Seriously. This guy must have eaten pickled eggs & garlic for the past three months. It was awful! We then climb into his smelly, smoky cab & he proceeds to crank the heat on max. I finally said something when I felt like I was going to pass out from the heat & the smell. 


According to the hotel, we were about 8-10 minutes away from the airport. 30 minutes later, we arrived. The cab driver couldn't find out hotel. He tried to tell us the hotels in the area always change their names & that's why he couldn't find it. He was honking at buses & reception areas trying to find someone who could tell him where to go. He nearly ended up on the freeway & had to do an illegal u-turn to put us back on the road. Best of all - he turned on his GPS & punched in the address. The GPS said, '0.1 mile to destination. Turn left.' Yeah. Welcome to Atlanta!


Needless to say, we went to bed right away. We were beat! We didn't get up & get going until nearly noon. We were going to go on a tour of the city, but instead, wound up riding the local train to the downtown area & checking out the Underground area. It was a nice downtown area - busy with people & pleasant. It would have been worthwhile to explore the area a bit more - especially the Olympics area, but alas, we had to return to leave for our flight. A train & shuttle back, we were frantically trying to pack up the rest of the stuff. Or at least I was. Jaco decided to go for a swim. 'Honey, we don't really have time for that' means NOTHING to him. He enjoyed a swim, shower & all the while, I hauled the stuff downstairs, out to the shuttle & begged the driver not to leave for a minute or two more. Thankfully Jaco showed up just as the driver said he couldn't wait any longer. We were already 20 minutes late at this point! Argh!


We made it to our check-in area & dropped off the luggage. No overweight fees! Yes! Business class has it's perks! We went through the security area & I experienced my first thorough pat-down. Wow. There is nothing on this body that hasn't been touched. Firmly. It was rather gross. Violating. Uncalled for. I don't understand how the Government can get away with this. I have NEVER given anyone a reason to suspect that I might be harmful to the general public & I do NOT deserve to be treated this way. Nor do I need to be subjected to anymore radiation than what I will already receive during the flight. I feel like I've been molested. Dirty. Yuck.


After the sexual abuse was over with, we proceeded to our gate. We took the train & then walked a distance. We were just approaching the gate when someone called out Jaco's name. It was Reuben! Jaco & him worked together on their previous contracts! Ha! Small world! Reuben was flying home after visiting his girlfriend in America. Crazy! The guys had a quick catch up visit & then it was time to board. 


Wow... A bed. I get a bed for 15 hours. I can't believe it. How lucky am I? Whoo hoo! See ya later Atlanta! I'm off to Africa!


xxxxMaria


Train ride 
 Tall building
 Coke!
 Jaco!
 Checkers anyone?
 Downtown
 Hey! Take my picture!
 Reading spot.
 Life imitates art!
 Underground
 Heading back to the hotel
 At the hotel
Our room!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been