.....::Recent Posts::.....

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Day 547 - Bamboo & Royalty





One of these days we will venture out & do something productive with our time in South Africa. But not today. 

Jaco & I walked downtown again & he told me about the old houses that used to be here & there & Cape Dutch architecture. We talked about the changes in the streets & buildings in the past 2 years since I've last been in Hermanus. It's quite shocking how much has changed!

We stopped in a few shops & I managed to find some Ocean Minded shoes. I bought a pair last time I was in South Africa & I was quite excited to find Ocean Minded flip flops! After the sight of things in Bonaire, I vowed to never buy another pair of crappy shoes that might end up on the shores of some beautiful beach. I would encourage you to do the same! If you remember my post from Bonaire, you'll see the garbage on the shore & there were MANY flip flops. Check out Ocean Minded if you need some comfy & Earth Happy shoes. 

The shops were closing at 1700 promptly, so Jaco & I headed outside & found ourselves on the rocks watching the waves crash in. Jaco climbed way out to the water's edge. I was a bit more cautious & didn't go out so far. I knew the tide was coming in, so I stayed put. Sure enough, the tide came in & he had to do some swift climbing in order to avoid the icy cold water! He had been entertaining himself with urchins & other sea creatures in the pools created by waves earlier in the day. And bless his heart. He holds up a piece of kelp & says, 'Look! Fresh bamboo!' I do love him so.

After our ocean exploration, we walked over to a restaurant along the water's edge nestled in a cave. We wandered in, ignored by a few staff & finally stood in front of the cashier's station. Finally someone asked if they could help us & I asked if we could see a menu. He handed us a menu, we sat on a little ledge & paged through the menu. There were some scrumptious looking shrimp on the menu, so we decided to order. We waited for someone to return to us & take our order. When a few minutes passed, we went & sat at a table. A few more minutes passed. Nothing. Finally I walked up to the bar & asked if I could order some shrimp. The girl looked at me as if I were dense & told me the kitchen was closed & they were closing. It was 6 pm on a Saturday evening. No shrimp for me. 

And now it's becoming crystal clear why businesses change so often in Hermanus & why they struggle to stay afloat. They are never open! What restaurant closes at 6 pm on the Saturday of a long weekend?! Crazy! 

Walking back to the house, we enjoyed a delicious stir-fry made by Jaco's Mom & then we watched a lengthy program on the upcoming Royal Wedding. Wow. They really have the world captivated, don't they? I must admit, I'm reliving the 'Princess' dream just watching the hype! I suppose I'll have to tune in on the 29th & see what transpires!

With that, I'm off to bed... Much love & enjoy your Easter weekend...

xxxxMaria

 At the school again


 Traditional Cape Dutch Architecture
 On the seafront
 Clouds rolling in
 My Baby
 Love you!
 Handsome Man!
 The Cave place that closes early!
 Splash
 Kelp in the mix
 S - for Sylvia
 Be careful!
 Brave man!
 Crash!
 Exploring
 Tides coming in!

 Losing light

Sunset

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been