.....::Recent Posts::.....

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 551 - Winter Clothes Anyone?

I have been freezing cold these past few days & seeing as I can't put enough layers on, Jaco & I headed to town for some sweaters & warm pants. We took the long way around - the scenic route. The winds were quite strong in Hermanus & that meant the waves were pretty spectacular. Of course, we didn't think of that while we were in Hermanus, but only realized it once we were already on the road. 


We decided to take the long route & stopped at the first little town we came to. Kleinmond was the name, I think! The waves were AMAZING. They were HUGE! They smashed into the rocks with a thunderous crack and rolled onto the sandy beach much further than usual. We dilly-dallyed for an hour just watching the waves & looking at the 'bamboo' as Jaco calls it. 


After our stop at the beach, we carried on down the road & the scenery was beautiful. The sun was sinking low in the day & we admired every kilometre of the drive. Well, that is until  Jaco accidentally hit a bird with the car. He was quite upset about it. I was finding it hard to keep a straight face - shame on me - bless the little birdie's soul - but I couldn't help but think how different the moment would have been had I married a country boy from back home. 'Damn birds! Eatin' my crops! Flyin' in front of the car (truck)! Probably took out my headlight! Gonna cost me another $80 to fix it! Serves 'im right for tryin' to fly across the highway when I'm drivin'!'


Jaco was genuinely upset! I was touched that he had so much compassion for an animal's life. One more reason why I love him so much! 


In any case, we pulled over at some point to take a photo of the pretty sky. Jaco got out to check the front of the car when he saw a feather. He approached the front of the car & saw, well, there's a photo below. Basically it was a scene of 2 feathers & a body part lodged in the grill of the car. We had a mournful moment & then carried on admiring the tranquil scenery. When we turned around to go back to the car, we spotted something a little further down the road. Lying on the side of the road in the direction we'd just come from was the bird. The poor thing was gone. I think it had been trapped on the grill of the car by the wind & the speed of the car. It only fell off when we slowed down to turn off. The poor, poor bird. Rest in peace, little buddy.


Shortly after our birdie memorial, I spotted DOLPHINS! Yay! There was a large pod of them just lazily swimming down the coastline. They very close to shore. It was a beautiful sight to see their dorsal fins surfacing on the pink water under the setting sun. What a magical  moment in life!


We drove into Cape Town & stopped at Cape Union Mart. Sigh. With the state of things I'm not fitting much. Thanks Malva Pudding! I love you, but I hate you! Jaco sat, ever so patiently, while I tried on sweater after sweater after fleece after pant until we finally had something that would work. We stopped at Wooly's for a bite to eat & then realized that we'd wasted what was left of the day. No shocker there!


We drove home & I was so excited to crawl into bed with my flannel p.j. pants & slippers! Life is GREAT!


xxxxCozy Maria


Nice old tree 
 In America - it's a lawsuit. In Africa - it is what it is.
 My Handsome Husband!
 Just the two of us... building castles in the sand...
 Footprints
 Kwaai Water
 Crazy Water
 This is the third photo. The first two he looked back at the last minute to make sure his feet weren't getting wet! Too cute.
 I LOVE this photo. It makes my heart smile!
 Water, rocks, sand
 'Bamboo'
 Look at the waves!
 BOOM!
 Smash!
 Awh!
 Beautiful drive!
 Oh dear. The birdie bits.
 Sunsetting
 The birdie. RIP.
 Sunset.
 Dolphins!

Old school gas station. Old school car.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been