.....::Recent Posts::.....

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Day 177 - Barbados & My Baby!

In April of 2003 I took a red eye flight from LA to Atlanta to Grand Cayman. I remember now why I waited 7 years before I flew it again. There is nothing less satisfying than trying to sleep sitting up, then having to wake up in the wee hours of the morning, wander around aimlessly & then board another plane. I will say, however, that I thoroughly enjoyed the row of three empty seats all to myself! I slept the entire way to Barbados! There was a lady traveling alone across the aisle from me. She kept looking at me wistfully, as though she wanted to cuddle up beside me in my row of freedom. No chance Sista! I was down for the count!

As I waited for the next flight, I picked up a Mango Tango juice by Odwalla. They have become a staple in my diet. I love to have some juice in the a.m. & I enjoy the mango juice! I also bought a fruit salad to try & flush out the McD’s from the night before. Ugh. Next door to the juice shop was a bookstore. I found a very interesting book called, ‘The End of Overeating’. The author was a former head hauncho of the FDA. I’m not too heavy into it just yet, as I’m reading Be The Pack Leader by Cesar Millan (another great read!).


I sat at the gate waiting patiently for the plane to be ready. Thankfully there were some extra blankets on the desk & no one was there to ask, so I helped myself. Curled up with my book, juice, fruit cup & wi-fi connection, I passed the time quite smoothly.


To my sanity, the attendant brought me a little tag telling me that Valentina was safely onboard the plane. He didn’t comment on her status – hot, cold, terrified, content… I guess I would find out in a few short hours!


The queue for immigration was insane. I think there were about 15-20 zig-zag lines to weave through. The heat & humidity were intense. I people watched for the lack of anything else to do. There was a lovely couple behind me, they were going on their first cruise together. The couple in front of me were just bizarre. I think they were very wealthy & money hadn’t bought them great parenting skills. The twin boys were in a big stroller with bottles. I swear the kids were at least 3, if not 4 years old. Dad had slightly ‘feminine’ tendencies & Mom had a bit of a ‘vacant’ look to her. Admittedly, they may have just come off of a red eye flight as well, but even still, it was pretty interesting to people watch their antics!


I was finally allowed into the country of Barbados! Now, where was Jaco? He had told me he would meet me between 2 & 3. I thought, ‘What?! Three? Why would he make me wait an hour?’ After waiting in line for immigration, I clearly understood why.


I collected my luggage & was about to leave the terminal when I realized, ‘Wait! Where’s the cardboard box with all my prescriptions in it?!’ I couldn’t see it anywhere! Oh no! Panic! I stood in line to file a report, nervous & getting anxious about not having my supplements for 3 weeks! That was a lot of money & a lot of health in that box!! Finally it was my turn. As she was searching my flight details, I thought I would wander over & take one more look. And there it was. Wedged between 2 big suitcases. No wonder I had missed it so many times! Oh thank goodness! I was so happy to see that cardboard box!


It was then that I realized something was wet on my suitcase. Oh no. Yup. Both cases. 3 bottles of DMSO had leaked ALL over my clothes, papers & well, everything was soaked! If you remember, DMSO is the stuff that smells like all sorts of foul things! I prayed it would wash off & not stain or stink!


I passed through customs inspection (with flying colours!), although they were a little suspicious about my 15 lb box of pills! They thought I was a Doctor! :o)


I walked out into Barbados & there he was! My Man, Jaco! Oh it was so great to see him! I have missed him so much! Hugs & kisses & squeezes, we found our cab driver & made our way to the ship. We’d only been in the car 5 minutes & had our first tiff, but thankfully it didn’t last long! :o)


We waited on the pier for Valentina to arrive. She was pretty happy to see us! She still wasn’t allowed out of her carrier until we were on the ship. We stopped for a quick Em-BARK-ation photo - :o) - & then found our way to the cabin. She was pretty happy to get out of that carrier. She didn’t seem to affected by it, although she was very happy to see her Papa & her Mama! I think Mama was happiest of all!


Jaco had clinic shortly thereafter, so I took the chance to unpack & settle in. As usual I like to tidy & rearrange, much to Jaco’s dismay. Thankfully this cabin has plenty of drawers & cupboards, so there is NO excuse to have it unkempt, right Babe? :o)


As cabins go, it’s pretty posh. There is a narrow corridor, turning right leads you into the sitting area. There is a wrap around couch with a hide-a-bed, chairs, desk, china cabinet, fridge, TV, etc, etc. Turning again takes you into a hallway with 2 closets, a mirror, 4 drawers & then the bathroom. It has a tub, yes, a tub. Believe it or not, tubs are rare on ships. The medicine cabinet is HUGE. I have never seen such a big cabinet! Lastly is the bedroom. A nice queen size bed, TV, phone, desk, drawers, nightstands & great lighting for hair & make up. :o) I’m not grumbling at all! It’s plenty bigger than any room I’ve had back home or on ships!


Anyhow, I’m wiped & headed for the shower… It’s been a long day(s)… Here’s to a fun day in St. Lucia tomorrow!
xxxxx
Maria, Jaco & Valentina


This escalator reminded me of the ones in the St. Petersburg Subway - long & steep - but Russia's were much faster. I had recurring dreams about the escalators in St. Petersburg since I was a young girl. Very random.
 
Waiting for the plane to be ready & keeping warm!
 
On a wing & a prayer that Tweet Pea is okay!
 
About to safely land
 
Welcome to Barbados!
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing more of your adventures. So happy that you and Jaco are together again. Janis

Jenn said...

So happy to hear you've arrived safely! Your shoes are cute, BTW :) Everything is going great here, so sorry I keep missing your phone calls :( Praying you have a wonderful time with your hubby! HI JACO!!

Anonymous said...

You will be VERY happy you are with Jaco and not here in this snow! Stuck with 4x4 in 3ft on the hill! Sunny and bright today so will make the May flowers blossom ready for your arrival!
Hope you are having a relaxing time with Jaco and loving every moment.
HUgs Mom

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been