.....::Recent Posts::.....

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day 181 - Bonaire


Bonaire is part of the Dutch Antilles. Aruba, Bonaire & Curacao make up the Dutch Antilles, quite often abbreviated into the ‘ABC’ islands. I have previously visited Aruba & Curacao, but never Bonaire. I was quite anxious to see what this little island was all about!

We arrived at noon, which suited me fine, as I could have a nice lie-in! Eddie, Jaco, Valentina & I headed off the ship around 1300. Eddie knew of a resort close by that we could spend some time at.

We headed down the street alongside the ocean. The water was BEAUTIFUL! Gorgeous shades of aqua, turquoise & teal – it was very inviting! We stopped along the way to let Tweet Pea make a deposit & then it was off to the resort. We paid our $5 entrance fee & found a few lounge chairs in the shade.

Jaco took off for a swim – he’s a very good swimmer & isn’t afraid to venture off & explore. He found a section of rocks with a lot of colourful fish. I didn’t bring my snorkel gear, so I was apprehensive about swimming out into deeper water. Valentina shared my appreciation for shallow water. She still didn’t enjoy the water. Eddie took her on his back & swam a little ways out. Pretty soon she was bailing off & swimming towards me. She had enough. She was done. Finito! There was NO chasing toys or swimming to & fro, she was done. I took her out of the water & it was then that she entertained the crew.

There were several shop staff around & they were quite enamoured with her! I’m sure I won’t have much trouble finding a dog sitter if need be! Jaco came out of the water shortly after & it was nearly time for us to go. I thought I’d pop into the water for a quick minute one last time. As I went into the water, Valentina looked at me wistfully. She was quite worried I was going to leave her behind! She became extra nervous when my head went lower & lower into the water. It was quite sweet. It’s always nice to know you’re loved & wanted!

Eddie & Jaco headed back to the ship for duty & I took a gander around town. The buildings were brightly painted, much like Aruba & Curacao. However, the town was a lot smaller than the main towns on the other islands. I was told that Bonaire isn’t quite as built-up as Aruba or Curacao, but it is quickly gaining popularity. I can see why! Beautiful water & a quaint little village… It stole my heart! Everywhere I turned there were diving shops. I am already praying that my lungs will heal quickly & there will be no permanent damage from the Bleomycin. I WILL DIVE AGAIN!!!!

Anyhow, on my exploration of the town, I did indulge in an ice cream cone. I had Rainbow Sherbet & it was even better than I remembered! Oh my word. There was tangy sweetness & cool refreshment in every lick. I’d say it took me somewhere far, far away, but wait! I’m already far away! :o)

What a fun day & how fantastic that Valentina was allowed ashore! Here’s to a wonderful day tomorrow & hopefully she’ll be allowed off in Aruba too!

Sweet dreams & sunshiny kisses!
Maria, Jaco & Valentina
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Good morning Bonaire!


No Mama please! Not the water again!


Daniela, Eddie & Valentina


Hitchin' a ride on Eddie's back!


1 Fish, Blue Fish


2 Fish, Funky Fish


Papa & Tweet Pea apres swim!


'I'm so NOT lovin' it.'


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess that is one thing Valentina and I have in common...swimming or not! I envy your surroundings, and happy you are all together. Thanks for sharing Jill enjoy reading of your days away.
Love Mom

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been