.....::Recent Posts::.....

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 189 - Antigua


Wow. What a day! I should be completely exhausted, but surprisingly I’m not. I’m feeling a little unsettled, like I can’t quite get comfortable. I haven’t been sleeping well. It’s almost like my body is still on Pacific time. I can’t fall asleep until about 0200 or 0300 & even then, it’s not a deep sleep. I toss & turn & visit the loo throughout the night. Finally about 0600 or 0700 I will fall into a deep sleep.

I had just found a deep slumber when the announcements began. Today were crew drills. The ship’s company practice emergency situations so they are well prepared when one finally arrives. It’s generally well organized & they do a great job of preparing the crew. Unfortunately the drills usually fall the morning after a really good disco or party & most of the crew aren’t too excited to be there! Needless to say, they make announcements over the PA system & of course, it broadcasts in Jaco’s cabin. So much for that deep sleep!

I finally rolled out of bed about 1100, as I was meeting Eddie at noon for a photo shoot. Valentina wasn’t allowed off the ship today, so Jaco would spend the afternoon with her. Eddie had sussed out a location the cruise before & asked me to come along. As it turned out, we were only leaving at 1300. (I could have used that extra hour of sleep!)

I met him by the gangway & he introduced me to Johnny, a Puerto Rican dancer & our model. We found a taxi & headed out to Fort James. We pulled up to a fairly deserted beach & made arrangements to meet our cab driver in a few hours.

We strolled down the beach, a few locals & a few tourists dotted here & there. We met 2 horseback riders, although I must say, the horses were a bit worse for wear.

We walked clear to the end of the beach to a huge building called ‘Russell’s’. The building resembled a plantation home. It was blue & white with two floors & a wrap around veranda. The owner, Russell, greeted us. He was wearing a beige linen button shirt & gold rimmed glasses. He looked cool as a cucumber, with a  bald head, a brilliant smile & a firm handshake.

His restaurant hosted live jazz music on Friday & Sunday nights. What a location! Russell’s was right on the point, so beach could be seen on both sides of the restaurant. We enjoyed a cold drink & then headed to the other side of the restaurant. Fort James was old & crumbling, but the buildings made for a fun backdrop for our photo shoot. There were still a few cannons lying around, along with graffiti on the walls of the building interiors.

We were sweating like crazy in the afternoon heat, but it was a fun way to spend it! Eddie had expected me to run the shoot, but I was just there for the ride. I was quite content to let him ‘call the shots’.

A few locals came by to paint some of the building. I’m not sure how much painting they were going to do, as only one lady painted & it was only about a 4’ square before she decided to sit down for a beer. She offered us a cold beer, but we declined. As we were leaving, her group offered a beer again. Then they kept saying, ‘Mary Jane’, ‘Mary Jane’. Yes, I’m a naïve little country girl. I’m thinking, ‘My name is Jill. Or Maria. Not Mary Jane! What are they on about?’ A moment later, I realized that Johnny & Eddie were declining Mary Jane. Oh, I see!!!! Yeah, NO.

We had planned on eating at Russell’s, but ran out of time, so we said our farewells & headed to the beach. We snapped a few more pics & then it was time to go. NOTE: Why is it that Speedo’s are still legal in come countries? I mean, really, REALLY?! NO! It’s just wrong. Any way you look at it! And I mean that VERY literally!!! I told Johnny & Eddie, both offenders, that Speedos were actually illegal in Canada. They believed me & were quite heartbroken when I told them. They didn’t get it that sometimes less is just WAY TOO MUCH! Now, for some more coverage – of the day…

Back in town, Eddie & I had a gelato & check out the shops. I saw this really sweet leather bag, clearly handmade. I asked the lady how much it was. $20. (I’m thinking ‘cheap!’) So I said, ‘Get outta town!’ She replies, ‘Okay, you can have it for $15.’ Hah! Even better! We also went wig shopping. Eddie took a few pics of me in the wigs & well, you’ll just have to wait & see! I bought two of them. Now if only I could find the eyebrows & lashes too!

Eddie had to work soon, so he headed back onboard. I wandered around for a bit, was accosted by the nearest thing I’ve ever seen to a real live Jack Sparrow. I was on the boardwalk passing the pirate ship that had just come in, when this old man starts talking to me. I can smell the rum on his breath. He’s missing quite a few teeth. His clothes are dirty, as is the bandana on his head. He has dreadlocks & a scruffy, long white goatee. I was about to ask him if I could take his photo when he asks me for a couple of bucks. Hmm. No picture I guess. Only memories. Funny thing is, every time I think of him I get this burning urge to wash my hands & brush my teeth…

I headed onto the ship after Jack Sparrow wouldn’t leave me alone. I was luckily able to escape by walking the plank through security – Mr. Sparrow didn’t have the magical cruise card! I went up for a bite to eat & then out to watch sailaway. We were in port with Royal Caribbean’s second largest ship, Adventure of the Seas. When I went out on deck, we were eye to eye with their Navigational Bridge. A bunch of the Officers were standing near the windows & they hand a giant hand to wave goodbye as we sailed away. They saw me taking a photo & they ‘waved’. It was cute. Then, the announcement comes over our PA system that we are about to sailaway. It is tradition to sound the ship’s horn three times when you sailaway from port. So, Sea Princess gives a big ol’ woot, woot, woot on the horn. (Think fog horn) In response, which doesn’t normally happen, the Adventure of the Seas, gives us a woot, woot, woot back! So the Sea Princess gives another little woot. Then the Adventure of the Seas gives another little woot. I’m laughing so hard I’m crying as I’m typing this. It may not sound funny AT ALL to you, but it was stinking hilarious to me! It was like two little boys playing with their noisy toys. Mom says BE QUIET! They say okay. Then they have to make just a little more noise, just to push Mom’s buttons! Anyhow, I have most of it on video. One day I’ll figure out how to upload it onto the blog & share it with you!

The Medical Team had organized a dinner at the Steakhouse for this evening. It was really nice to sit down with them out of work & enjoy their conversation & company. We had some interesting topics come up, as you do – Fox hunts, battery hens, cameras, Mac computers, dogs, Irish jigs, Aussipinos and the list goes on! I was well impressed by the Senior Nurse & Doctor – They both ate about 20 oz of steak! My tummy churns at the thought of it! In any case, it was a wonderful evening!

And that, my friends, was a wonderFULL day in Antigua. Sun, sand, photography, shopping, friends & food. Come to think of it, this may very well have been THE Perfect Day. Ha! I’m off to bed… Maybe it can get a little better! :o) Just kidding! Mom, you didn’t read that! Or if you did, you better not comment! :o)

Wishing you a Perfect Day too!
Maria, Jaco, & Valentina
xxxxxooooooxxxxxxooooo


Eddie & Johnny chit chat en route to our location... More to follow!

Fun little bicycle & shutters shot

Antigua

Adventure of the Seas 'waving' goodbye!

Adventure of the Seas

Oh how happy can 2 people be?!? I'm so lucky!!!

Tim, the Senior Nurse. Note the number of steaks on his plate. He cleaned it!

Nurse Stacey & Dr. Reuben

Nurse Vicky & Tim, Steak Eating Machine

Johnny rocks a scarf too!

Lookin' fine!

Hello Hot Stuff!

My favourite from the day.

So pensive...

Whoopsee, didn't warn you about this one! :o)

Sorry, 2 men in speedos, I couldn't resist sneaking this shot in! Sorry Eddie! :o) Hope you'll forgive me!

This one too... Speedos just make me gag a little & then giggle a lot!



1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha - Mary Jane and Speedos....I'm still laughing. Fab pic of you and Jaco, by the way. Janis

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been