.....::Recent Posts::.....

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Day 184 - Mo' Bay (as in Montego Bay, Jamaica)

Okay, okay, so I'm horribly behind on the blog, I know... Bear with me! I'm doing my best to catch up! In fact, it's 0130 & I just woke up. Poor night of sleep, so I'll do a post or 2 until the eyes get heavy again.

Montego Bay is another place I have previously been, but as it had been awhile, I didn't remember too much. Valentina was not allowed ashore today, but Jaco was! We called Emily, one of the Photogs who loved Valentina very much, and asked if she would be interested in dogsitting. Of course she was! She didn't have much time before she had to work, so Jaco & I quickly got ready. 

It didn't take us long to realize we wouldn't be going anywhere. We only had 1.5 hours. It was 20 minutes to town & 30 minutes to the beach. And you had to pay to go anywhere. The All Day Free Shuttle wasn't running today. It would have been $10 per person one way to take a taxi to town or the beach. $40 for 1.5 hours? Nah. 

We strolled around a rundown shopping area next to the terminal. I think it would have been great in its day, but unfortunately business was not so good. As one lovely shopkeeper explained to us, the cruise ship's tours now take the passengers right off the ship to town to the other shops & don't bother sending them to the terminal shopping area. 

We bought a few magnets & I found a little dog shirt for Valentina that read 'Spoiled Rotten - Jamaica'. I also bought a beautiful yellow summer top with embroidery on the sleeves. I have a think for embroidered tops. We also spotted a bunch of crew with laptops, 'borrowing' a free wireless signal from a business near the shops. The business was closed on weekends, but their internet wasn't! 

Our hour was soon up, so Jaco & I went back to fetch Valentina & he had to get ready for work. I tried the shirt on her & it was too small! :o( My shirt was too big. I look like a big yellow tent (Circus?) in my XL shirt. I guess I'd be going back for some refunds! I took my laptop with the hopes of skyping & catching up on the blog.

When I returned to the shop, they didn't have either items in alternative sizes. I decided I would get Jaco a Red Stripe shirt. Red Stripe is Jamaica's beer & is quite famous. Of course, they didn't have the shirt I wanted in his size either, but luckily they had another design I liked. Thinking back, I should have bought a hat, as they were nice too, but hindsight 20/20. The lady didn't want to give me any cash back, but when she saw my neck as I was trying on another tent (pink & white), she asked me what it was. I told her it was cancer & 20 seconds later, she'd whispered to her Boss & I was getting my cash back! Groan. Suddenly because I'm potentially dying sooner than the average person I need my money back to spend it quicker?!? Thanks for the refund. :o)

I sat outside & did the biggest software update possible! 838 mb! That would have taken the entire three weeks on ship internet!!! I managed to skype with Collet for awhile, but pretty soon I saw the shops closing & it grew quiet. I thought I should head back to the ship or risk being locked into the shopping area! 

I scooted out & onto the ship with not much time to spare! I was happy to be back on board! Jamaica is a beautiful place & I have met many wonderful people there, however, I know it can be dangerous. I would love to return one day & visit one of the resorts, or some of the wonderful gals I've met at Dr. Castillo's who call Jamaica home! We'll see! 

On the way to dinner, Valentina charmed the Security team who were waiting to do some training. She showed them her tricks & they were all impressed! Every time I get off the ship & punch out my card, there is an alarm bell that rings & says, "Attention! You have a message!" Then they tell me whether or not Valentina is allowed ashore. They know the both of us quite well already!

Enjoy your evening wherever in the world you are & I hope life is treating you kindly...
Love & hugs,
Maria, Jaco & Valentina
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Blue skies & funky trees.

What?! I couldn't resist!

My super duper large software update!

Just a little corner to get connected!

The shopping area next to the ship... And free wireless!

Getting some lovin' & that safe feeling from the Security team!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been