.....::Recent Posts::.....

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Day 180 - Grenada

Tweet Pea is a Land Lubber once again! You’ve never seen such a happy little dog to find a patch of grass! The family went ashore today. We headed to the beach & well, Valentina is certainly not a water dog. I don’t foresee Search & Rescue in her future. She can swim just fine, but her long ears were a bit in the way. She would swim to Jaco & then to me, but she would climb right up our chests to get out of the water. Then she would shake.

We tried to throw a floating toy for her & she made one attempt to get it, but when she realized she’d have to open her mouth to get the toy, she suddenly lost interest. Shortly thereafter, when she was swimming towards Jaco, she realized he was further out to sea. It was a quick u-turn & back towards Mama. Poor little thing! She looks quite pathetic in the water! I hope she gets used to it!

Once we were out of the water, it didn’t take her long to fulfill her nickname as a ‘hotdog’. The heat is pretty intense & that ol’ tongue was hanging out like I’ve never seen. She drank a lot, but I guess it just feels good to pant! She was pretty popular on the beach. People were watching, pointing & coming over to ask us questions about her. I can’t say she isn’t popular!

We wandered through the terminal building & treated ourselves to Mango smoothies & made our way back to the ship. Jaco had clinic & I had a rumbly tumbly. I went upstairs to grab a quick bite & just as I was leaving, I saw Karen, the 1st Purser of Food & Beverage. I stopped to visit with her & we were talking about Valentina. All of a sudden, this lady pipes up from a nearby table, ‘Really? You have your dog onboard? How did you do that? I have 7 Persian cats. I want to bring my cats onboard!’ ARE YOU KIDDING ME? First of all, why do you have 7 cats??? All in your house??? And how did you hear us talking at all? She must have supersonic hearing. Karen & I both raised our eyebrows & I told her I would let her finish her dinner in peace & cat, er, chat with her later. Meow! I mean, Wow!

I find it difficult having Valentina as a Service Dog. People look at me & think I look normal & healthy. They don’t see the lumps in my neck, which are usually hidden by a scarf. They don’t know what is really going on. It is sometimes hard to bite my tongue, but so far I have done so. I guess that’s only one more reason why I am such a hermit onboard!

Speaking of being a hermit, I’m going to hermit under the sheets now! Sleep well & see you tomorrow!
xxxxxxx
Maria, Jaco & Valentina

Grenada's offerings


Tweet Pea & Papa


The family. 2 out of 3 of us are having fun!


Swim doggy swim!


I really love this photo, even though Valentina looks incredibly helpless!


Givin' 'er for the shore!


It's a hot one!


Enjoying the porthole view!


Formal Night


A little exercise at the basketball court



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the swimming photos! Re: Valentina beinga service dog and finding it difficult to discuss with others: it's about you and your health, not what others think or perceive. I think it's wonderful that you can bring her along. Janis

Anonymous said...

Pardon my ignorance, but how is she a service dog (what's her "job")? RG

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been