.....::Recent Posts::.....

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 188 - St. Maarten

Whoo hoo! Another new place to tick off the list! St. Maarten is pretty much a mecca in the Caribbean. Most cruise ships will stop here & on any given day, you're likely to find a few 'boats' in port. Today, we were 4 ships. It was insanity.


The Oasis of the Seas, the largest cruise ship in the world, owned by Royal Caribbean, was in port with us. This monster of a boat holds 5000 passengers & I don't even know how many crew! Crazy! I would never want to work on a baby like that! Ugh... The thought of ressi just makes me want to call in sick with Norovirus! Okay, so most of you will have NO IDEA what that last sentence means, but take my word for it, it would not be fun! I'm sure the ship is beautiful & all, but it's a little too 'city-like' for me. Give me my small ship of 2000 passengers (even that is big!!!)


I was very excited to hear that we were also in port with the Emerald Princess. The Medical Centre needed some meds from our ship, so Stacey, one of the nurses, headed over to the Emerald to drop it off. I went along with the hopes of seeing a photog or two. I managed to bump into Jimmy. I worked with Jimmy on the Diamond Princess in 2005. Seems like ages ago! It was great to see him! He's still crazy Jimmy!


Along with Jimmy, Dr. Rudy Bosch was working as Senior Doctor onboard & I was hoping we would get to visit with him. Rudy was Jaco's boss when I sailed with Jaco on the Star Princess. Rudy is like one giant teddy bear & he's a barrel of fun. I have yet to see him in a foul mood & he's always got something interesting to share. 


Unfortunately, Jaco had a dental appointment & missed Rudy's appearance on the ship. Vicky, one of the nurses, worked with Rudy on the Star before I arrived, so they were having a catch up visit when I came to say hello. Rudy is just plain infectious, always with a twinkle in his eye! It's no wonder people request to work with him across the fleet! He is built like a brick potty house & bald as the prairie. When I told him about my chemo situation, he said to send photos & we'll compare bald heads! What a guy! Jaco was very sad to have missed seeing him, as a fellow South African and former colleague, they have a lot in common.


After Rudy left, I took Valentina out & met Eddie to head downtown. We walked for 10-15 minutes & visited a few shops where Eddie searched for some camera accessories. We then headed to the beach. It kind of reminded me of PV or Mazatlan... There were bars everywhere & music blaring & of course, swarms of people. Completely not my scene, but it was fun for a day! We left our things at a bar where Eddie knew the bartender & headed into the water. It was a lovely hot day & the water was very refreshing. We visited with a couple couples enjoying their Carnival cruise. (Carnival's largest ship in their fleet was also in port with us) Valentina hated the water & desperately tried to make a beeline for the shore. Eddie became distracted by the topless sunbathers & I got dizzy rolling my eyes at him! 


After an hour or so, it was time to head back to the ship. Eddie had to work & I had hoped to look around the terminal a bit. Nothing too exciting to be seen, unless you're after an embroidered 'St. Maarten' shopping bag or a pirate t-shirt! What a day! I went up on deck to watch sailaway & to get a bird's eye (sort of) view of the Oasis. I had to take three photos to fit it in!


When I arrived on deck, everyone had British flags they were waving about. I wondered what on earth was going on, but apparently with all our British passengers, they have a British sailaway. They played famous British songs & everyone waved their flags. Okay, I'm down with that. We had a random power outage for about 10 minutes - I asked who forgot to pay the power bill? :o)


Another lovely day in the Caribbean & I'm loving every minute of it. My Babe, my baby, sunshine & the deep blue sea. What more could any girl ask for? Okay, fair enough, good health would be appreciated too. Have a beautiful night...


Maria, Jaco & Valentina 
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox


Rudy & Vicky - reunited!

Okay, so this photo was taken in March, but I swear it's a mini-Rudy! (It's my cousin's little guy - Rhett!)

Oh so many ships!

Walking down the promenade along the waterfront

Tweet Pea hitches a ride

Oh just please keep me out of the water!



The bartenders & Eddie, the bartender!

A crazy honeymoon couple we met from Mexico. She had one too many Jagermeister's, but she was still fun!

Carnival Dream & Emerald Princess in the distance

British Sailaway

Union Jacks

Oasis of the Seas


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been