.....::Recent Posts::.....

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Day 223 - It Costs How Much To Live In BC?!?

As luck would have it, Jaco was busy again today. That left me time to pack & organize my stuff. I visited the shops briefly to say goodbye to Maria, met a Jeweller from South Africa (actually he lives in the town next to Jaco!) & helped Jaco a bit more in his office. 


The packing didn't actually happen, but seeing as I'd brought along an extra bag, I wasn't worried. I was going to do laundry, but then someone mentioned that in Alaska they close the laundry facilities for most of the cruise to save water & thus having to carry more grey water around. I accepted that it would be just as easy for me to have a bag of dirty clothes that I could easily wash once I was home. It would be in non-chlorinated water & healthy detergent too.


Speaking of chlorinated water, I am pleased to report that Jaco actually prefers the shower filter now & best of all, my eczema didn't show up this time! It must have been the water! That shower filter was a great investment!


We went for dinner at the Steakhouse tonight. It was a really great evening. We went with Rebecca & her friends, Daniel & Megan. Tim, Rebecca's husband, was also supposed to join us, but he was on call & had a patient. We enjoyed a wonderful meal & great conversations. Daniel works in the Arctic on tugboats & Megan works for the Canadian Coast Guard. She used to work on ships & it turns out I was on a ship at the same time she was! (Duh - prior to this time!) :o) Rebecca was celebrating her promotion tonight! She'd just been confirmed as Senior Second Officer! Congratulations!


We were talking about where to live in Canada & of course, we agreed that the west coast would be the ultimate place to live if we were going to try & escape the long, cold winters. However, the cost of housing came up. I was amazed to hear that houses were in the $800,000 to $900,000 range! Yikes! I guess we'll see about that!


So there you have it. My last day at sea for a very long time. I'll miss the sound of the water as it brushes past the sides of the ship, along with the gentle sway of the ship as I fall asleep. But rest assured, this prairie girl will find her way back to the water... Just give me a little time to tie up some lose ends on land...


Love & hugs,
Maria & Jaco
xxxxxxx


Jaco, me, Daniel, Megan, & Rebecca

Our South African waiter, Craig, took the photo. He's good! He could shoot Resi anytime! :o)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

RE: house prices in BC. I keep tabs on Tsawassen (hope I spelled that correctly) and White Rock. And I see plenty on MLS for those two towns that are quite lovely and more in the 500-600,000 range. Still expensive, but so is AB and at least in BC you get trees, ocean, mountains, and GORGEOUS weather. Have I convinced you yet, because I'm convinced it's the place to be. Now we just have to get Dustin's work to agree to let him transfer.... Janis

Jill Marie said...

YES!!!! White Rock is gorgeous! A little bit of an older crowd, but I'm sure we could spice things up!!! :o)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been