.....::Recent Posts::.....

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 238 - Overachiever & Achievements!

Okay, so I'll be the first to admit, I've been quite slack about keeping you up to speed! I'm now sitting a week+ behind & racking my brain to remember the past X number of days! Bear with me!


This morning was another ultrasound. I'm pleased to say that I'm no longer in the bottom of the pile for follicles! Yay! This morning found 12 follicles! Whoo hoo! It's working! I am to keep up with my shots for the next three days & come back on Sunday. Lucky me, human pin-cushion continues!


I motored home & realized that I had left Mom's cell at home. I was supposed to call Ilo when I was leaving the city, so she could meet me & follow me back to the ranch. Whoopsie! I called her as soon as I got home & to my dismay, I had the wrong number!!! The answering message that picked up was some young kid named Jordan! Oh no! I facebooked her & sent her an email, with no idea of whether or not she would actually be able to access either message! 


I laid down for a nap, waiting for the phone to ring. It didn't! I woke up & hit the shower. When I got out, there was Ilo! She found us! I quickly got ready & she decided to accompany me to my Oncology appointments. Since it was a rainy day, Shasta & Valentina came along for the ride. The first stop was blood work. It was late in the day, so the clinic wasn't busy & I made sure I didn't get the same gal who murdered my vein last time! 


Our next stop was the Social Worker. She was able to help me out with the prescription coverage application & we applied for Blue Cross coverage, but it takes 4 months to kick in! My EI benefits end this weekend & if I can qualify for sick benefits, it will only cover me for 15 weeks! Yikes! I'm feeling the pinch! It could be an interesting 6 months in so many more ways than I had imagined! 


Okay, the appointment I'm sure you're all anxious to know about. My big meeting with Dr. Daly. I had my binder of studies & tests & trials & questions (19). There he sat with his matching shirt & socks, pants pressed with a razor sharp crease & a flawless haircut. I was so nervous. I was so relieved that Ilo had come along to bring me back to reality from time to time. I started with the questions. Finally it came time to tell him about the Bleomycin omission. 


He asked me to tell him more about it, so I explained the study I'd found, what the results were & the Doctor who had done it. I told him that I'd phoned the Harvard Doctor who conducted the study. To my shock, Dr. Daly says, 'Yes, George?' He knows him! Very good! So, after I explain my reasoning, Dr. Daly says, 'Well, you sound like you're making an informed decision & as long as you're aware of the risks, that's fine with me.'


WHAT?!?! No fight? No argument? No tie me to the chair until I give in?!? Wow! That was so easy! Phew! I've just lost 10 pounds! Fantastic!


Next up, Peter Lougheed for treatments? Sure! CT scan? Well, I compromised & it will only be my neck & chest - NO ABDOMEN OR PELVIS!!!! This is turning into a breeze!


I asked about sunshine & if I could have vitamin D. He said to cover up & use sunscreen, especially if I'm going to be out all day - like if I'm doing a hike. What?!? You mean I'll feel well enough to hike?? He tells me it's much easier than I've painted in my mind. I hope he's right! I really, really do!


I also asked about the substitute Oncologist while he's away. It turns out, he's only gone for 2 weeks, so it's not such a big deal. I mentioned that I had wanted Dr. Lategan & I also mentioned that his receptionist was quite the gal. He immediately asked about HIS receptionist & was she nice. She was better than Dr. Lategan's, but she wasn't winning any gold stars... I told Dr. Daly that she was alright - he instantly poked me in the knee & roared laughing - 'Good! Because it's the same one!' Ha ha ha! Ilo, the Nurse, Deb, & Dr. Daly were all roaring. I hardly found it funny. I do now, but she was still wicked to me! Looks like we'll have to have a chat before I start visiting her every 2 weeks! :oP


With that, we finished up. I left feeling relief of some kind. My 1st chemo date is booked for June 30th. Less than 2 weeks to go. The pit in my stomach is already whirling. CT scan will be either the 28th or 29th. 


Ilo & I stopped for a Jugo Juice & some groceries from Safeway. She made a yummy sweet potato appetizer & I made (kind of) coconut french toast. We were so full from our smoothies we hardly ate anything! The highlight of the day was the photo frenzy Ilo shared with me. She spent a year in Kenya a few years ago volunteering with Global Vision. Her photographs were AMAZING. WOW! I can't wait to go there! The sunsets, the dolphins, the cheetahs, the people... Beautiful! What an experience. 


We walked the dogs for awhile in the rain. It was hilarious to watch Shasta bolt ahead & Valentina try to keep up with her short little legs! They had a blast playing! Shasta is so well behaved & she is the cutest Golden Retriever I've ever seen. She has a cute little turned up nose & beautiful eyes that know exactly what's on your mind.


We were both pretty tired, so we got ready for bed... Before we hit the hay, Ilo tried on a few wigs. It's interesting how a different hairstyle changes your look SO MUCH! I'll be anxious to see how many of my friends walk past me when I sport the wigs! :o)


Until then... Lekker slaap...
xxxxx
Maria, Valentina, Ilo & Shasta


Waiting to see Dr. Daly

Playtime!

Mushrooms & cow patty!

Catch me if you can...

Didn't think so!

You can totally rock it girl! It's Jade from America's Next Top Model!






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been