.....::Recent Posts::.....

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 243 - Another Hmpf Day.

Righty ho then. I had originally titled this post 'Not my favourite day', although when it actually came time to remember WHY it wasn't my favourite day, I couldn't really remember anything too terrible! Isn't is funny how life works? That whole saying of 'in 5 years time, today won't even be a memory' - well, I guess it's true! It only took a week & I've already forgot why it was such a crappy day! Imagine that! Hope the same happens for you!


I do remember sleeping in. I remember making some phone calls. I had decided it was high time to have my teeth cleaned before I started chemo. They had told me not to have any dental work done once we started treatment, as some of the chemo is blood thinning & also wounds would be slow/difficult to heal. (I guess learning how to rollerblade on gravel is out of the question?) 


I phoned Bragg Creek, Okotoks & Black Diamond. Surprisingly there was a lot of difference in the cost of a cleaning! Black Diamond won out as the most cost effective, so I booked myself an appointment for this afternoon! I was the last opening (ha ha) they had. I had just hung up the phone when Dieter & Jim pulled into the yard. Poor Dieter. He bottomed out on our terrible road & the oil pan went. For the 3rd time! He called AMA & it took forever for them to show up!!! We had a cup of tea & some toast while we waited. Eventually I had to get in the shower & get ready for my dental appointment. I left Dieter at the house & took Jim to his house on my way to Black Diamond.


Oh dear. My teeth were in pretty rough shape. I hadn't had a cleaning for 3, yes, three years. My gums are receding from aggressive brushing, so it is VERY painful to have a cleaning done. Much to my horror, the Hygienist told me I had gingivitis & pre-periodontal disease. Great! She was only able to clean the bottom teeth since she had to do it all by hand & couldn't use the ultrasonic cleaner with water. She put heaps of numbing gel on, but it wasn't enough! Looks like I'll be back Thursday morning to finish up. 


At least the Hygienist was a riot! Her name is Lois & she was a total sweetheart. She asked me heaps of questions & by the end of the cleaning, I felt like I'd known her all my life! Don't ask me how she could learn so much about me with her hands in my mouth, but hey, she did! She's that good! :o)


I had taken the back way to Black Diamond, but thought I would head home through Turner Valley & stop by Scott & Shauna's place. I couldn't exactly remember where it was, but I drove around long enough - I eventually found it! Shauna & I went to pick up Scott at YWAM. They gave me a quick tour & then we drove back to their house for a visit. Shauna's parents were on their way to stay for a few days, so I didn't want to stay too long - I'm sure there was plenty to do. They were going on a 4 day backpacking trip into Kananaskis tomorrow morning! Shauna told me later, she carried a 40 lb pack & Scott carried a 50 lb pack! Crazy! That's like lugging 5 Valentina's up a mountain! 


As soon as I hit the highway, I knew something wasn't quite right. My car was making a click, click sound & my steering wheel was giving a tug, tug simultaneously. It became worse as I increased my speed. I pulled over several times to check my tires & they looked fine. No flats. I kept it at 80 km/h the whole way home. Mom & I drove it to EVIC & back & it did the same thing for her. Sure enough, when we got out of the car at home, there was a hefty bulge in the tire. I knew the tread was wearing down, but I had no clue it was THAT bad!! Great. Now what!? Mom was supposed to be leaving for SK on Thursday & tomorrow is surgery. 


Mom decided to drive it slowly to Cochrane tomorrow at 0800 & have the front tires changed. She would be back by 1130 when I had to leave for surgery. When it rains it pours.


Here's to a successful surgery & fantastic tire change!
xxxx
Maria & Valentina


No wonder my neck has been getting cranky! It's nearly a full moon!

What a pretty sight! Wild ponies outside the door!

I've missed them!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been