.....::Recent Posts::.....

Monday, February 28, 2011

Day 493 - Grand Cayman

Today was the fourth time I've visited the stingrays. I remembered why I didn't want to go when I got out there. Stingrays freak me out. 


I wanted to go to take photos of M&D2. They had never experienced anything like this & I wanted to be sure they had some 'evidence' of their day with the stingrays. The ride out in the boat was brilliant! A sunny day with incredible shades of green & blue in the water. We slowly made our way out to the stingrays & climbed into the water. 


That's when I remembered why I didn't want to come. The stingrays are slimy & they can't see very well. They think every thing is food. Including you! And they suck! Way stronger than your average Dyson! I've had my fingers caught once in the grinding plates of a stingray. It wasn't fun!


So there I was, dancing about in the water, trying to have eyes in the back of my head, making sure I didn't get sucked, stung or mounted by some overeager stingray! I would freeze like a steel rod every time one would come floating past, but naturally the water was rough & the waves would smash me around like a dishrag. I tried to snorkel, but as soon as I stuck my head in the water, I panicked at the thought of a stingray coming up from the rear & catching me. I handed the camera to Mom2 & told her to snap away. I was done! 


I huddled in the main crowd, trying to stay out of everyone's way, stingrays included. The more I watched, the more I relaxed. There was one particularly affectionate stingray called 'Notch', who, coincidentally had a notch out of her front. She loved the guide, a South African lass. Then there was Frisbee. She didn't have a tail. Kind of a cruel name, but cute, nonetheless. I braved up & held Frisbee. After all, I couldn't come all this way & not have an interaction with the stingrays, now could I?


I took photos of M&D2 holding stingrays. They loved it. Mom2 was in tears at several times throughout the day! 


She's still learning her 'cruise etiquette'. When we arrived at Stingray City, she spotted Cesar, our friend from the shops on another boat. Cesar had been with us on the tours in Grenada & Aruba. So she waves frantically whilst yelling, 'CESAR! HOW ARE YOU?!?!' Everyone stops moving, it becomes quiet & everyone looks at her. Cesar sheepishly waves back. I just shake my head. Oh well. Bless.


After our stingray snorkel, we headed closer to the reef & hopped back in the water for a snorkel. It was beautiful! Great visibility & stunning fish - it was fantastic! I loved every minute of it! I didn't want to get out of the water! I don't think I was the only one either!


On our way back, I quizzed the South African guide about working in the Caymans. She has a 7 year visa. Hmmmmm... Jaco? I could work in a jewelry shop & Jaco could save lives! Sounds like a bang-up idea to me! How could you NOT want to be here! Okay, fine, hurricane season maybe. Otherwise, I'm in! 


What a perfect day in an amazing place. I hope I'll be here again. And again. Maybe for awhile. It would be a great place to bring the kids! They would grow up as fish!


Dreaming,
xxxxMaria


The stray cat that snuck on board! 
He didn't last long! (He also cuddled with Mom2 & scratched the guy who picked him up to get rid of him!) 
 Our Captain
On the way out to sea 
Dad2 getting pumped for the snorkel 
 Lovely little boat!
 Nice pad!
 Whee!
 Jaco & I's future home - you can come for a visit!
 We had the upper deck to ourselves!
 Gorgeous!
 Love it!
 We're ready!
 Whee!
 Floating...
 Whee!
 Here comes Notch!
 Oooh! That's the spot!
 Eye see you.
 Here I come!
 Here's looking at you Kid.
 Bub-bye
 Needing a bath?
 The big & the small of it.
 Notch
 Snorkelling
 currents
 swim!
 reflections
 love it.
Fishy.
 Love it.
 Coral.
 Our home by next Christmas!
 Making friends.
 Lounge Lizards.
 The wheels on the bus go round & round... funniest Driver. EVER.
 So funny I had to take his pic to remember him!
 Showing us the souvenirs.
Getting off the tender boat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been