.....::Recent Posts::.....

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day 143 - Bellydancing!


This morning came early! I sure felt the loss of one hour. Even Valentina didn’t want to wake up! But I was very excited to see the dancing today!

I used to take bellydance classes when I was in college & they were some of the best times I had! When I was a kid, we lived so far from town that driving to ballet, tap or jazz was simply out of the question. (Google Bracken, Saskatchewan & head south – we were one mile from the US border!)

So when college came around, I found myself at a trade show & there was a bellydance performance. I was hypnotized! I immediately knew I had to sign up! Of course, it didn’t end there I took flamenco, African tribal, hip hop, samba, Brasilian, & latin dance classes. (Hey, I got good grades in college too!)

Anyhow, I haven’t danced in a long time, but I was pretty pumped to see Peggy dance! She had been describing the costumes to us the night before & I knew it would look phenomenal!

Collet & Ezra had been to church that morning, so I met them at the school. We went to see the girls getting ready & then it was time to find a seat! I picked a seat where I could get a good view of the stage & checked my exposure. Done. I was ready! Bring it on!!

Of course, before Peggy & her group came on stage, there were several other dancers performing. A wide variety of dancers, ranging in their teenage years, danced some incredible numbers! Sticking out in my mind  - the contortionist (for sure!), the gal who did the ‘Born to be wild’ number on a kids quad, the ‘Puttin’ on the Ritz’ number with Frankenstein, there was a lot of talent in the room!

Finally it was Peggy’s turn! They looked stunning in their costumes! White tops & white skirts with crocheted sparkly hip scarves & jingle belts. Each woman had a different colour of hip scarf. Their routine was impeccably choreographed! Wow! They were awesome! I could have watched them dance for days! I happily snapped away throughout the performance! Peggy had told us she was planning on retiring after this performance, so I hope I have a few good shots to put in her memory book!

I went out to the car afterwards & took Valentina in to the school. She was pretty excited to see all those people! They were just as excited about her!

I was talking to Collet & her Mom when I overheard someone saying, ‘What’s that smell? It smells like food. That’s gone bad.’ Oh dear. It’s me. The DMSO. So I piped up, ‘It’s me. It’s the medication that I take. It makes me smell. I’m sorry!’
She tried to back paddle & deny that it was me, but of course, I knew it was me! I can’t smell it, but others sure can! I told her the next time I saw her I promised I wouldn’t smell!

When I was in the Yuen Class, someone seated at the table in front of me said to her friend, ‘It smells like cream corn. Do you smell it?’

I smiled & piped up, ‘It’s me! It’s the DMSO.’ To my surprise, she replied, ‘Do you have cancer?’
‘They think so.’
‘I work with the cancer patients at the Children’s Hospital & they treat them with DMSO. It always smells like cream corn.’

So, that brings my total list of scents to:
1.   Cream corn
2.   Rotten food
3.   Garlic
4.   Bad breath
5.   Oysters
6.   Rotten sardines
7.   Carrots
8.   Broccoli
9.   Water chestnuts

Interesting how the scent is different to different people. I am officially out of DMSO now, so hopefully I’m not near as potent anymore!

We headed back to Peggy & Chris’ for lunch. We had another great chat & then it was time to go. I was hoping to stop by my brother’s today, if I could get in touch with him & I was also dropping off some Serrapeptase for Alma.

I didn’t hear from Jeff until I was already on Deerfoot – he was an hour too late! I motored to Planet Organic to pick up the stuff for Alma & then made my way to her house. She wasn’t home, so I still didn’t get to meet her, but hopefully I will soon!

When I pulled into the yard, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Gross. Sick. Ugh. My Mom likes to compost, but doesn’t have anywhere to put the compost. She used to take it to a friend’s, but doesn’t go there anymore. She still keeps the compost & puts it into a black garbage back until she takes it away… somewhere??

She left 2 bags of compost on the deck, along with a bag of garbage & some critter had come along in the last 36 hours & scattered rotten fruits & veggies & garbage ALL over the deck. The stench was bad enough, let alone the mess! I ended up sweeping it into this old wheelbarrow & leaving it behind the she for her to sort out when she returned. Yuck.

On that note, I washed my hands three times & decided to get to bed early. Well, sort of. By the time I sorted through emails & did a little blogging, it was late, as usual!

Sweet dreams & see you tomorrow!
Maria & Valentina
xoxoxoxoxxoxoxo

This girl had personality! She was awesome!

Talent runs in the family - these 2 were sisters!

Born to Be Wild! (And flexible!)

Puttin' on the Ritz with Frankenstein

Wow! Hello Cirque du Soleil!

Sigh. A lifetime of yoga & I'll probably never get this far.

Ta-da! 

Pretty feet...

A little bit of hip..

Hey Sister!

Wide hip circles...

Gorgeous girls!

A little Egyptian hands...

Final Pose!

What a troupe!

Peggy demonstrates how to move 'dem hips!

Collet, Chris, Peggy & Ezra (Baby Stephan is hiding in the picture too!) :o)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Where I've Been